Sword & Shield
|Damage Type||Cut Damage|
Sword & Shield (片手剣) is a weapon category in Monster Hunter World (MHW). Like all Weapons, it features a unique moveset and an upgrade path that branches out depending on the materials used. Please see Weapon Mechanics for details on the basics of your hunter tools.
Sword & Shield Weapon Tree
For full details, please see Sword & Shield Weapon Tree
Sword & Shield Traits & Abilities
- Hunters can use Items with their weapons drawn and whilst guarding
- Fast recovery time, allowing for the chaining of attacks and blocks, at the expense of damage
- Wide range of Elemental Damage options, and useful to inflict Status Effects on enemies.
Sword & Shield Guide
A quick versatile cutting weapon that allows you to block and use items without having to sheath your weapon. Like with other cutting weapons your goal will be to cut of the monsters tail or other parts before focusing on something like wings or the monsters head. You can use your shield to shield bash a monsters head to attempt a stun. Tenacity and proficient item usage are key to mastering the Sword and Shield.
Sword & Shield Advantages
- Quick attacks and evades create a well-rounded hunter
- Can guard and can use items while guarding
- Possibly high Elemental Damage, and good at inflicting Status Ailments.
Sword & Shield Disadvantages
- Each hit is not very powerful
- Guarding and blocking isn't as effective as for other heavier weapons.
- Sharpness decays rapidly due to the fast nature of the attacks.
Sword & Shield Controls
|All Sword & Shields Alphabetical|