Ancient Leshen is an Large Monster in Monster Hunter World (MHW). エンシェント・レーシェン (Enshento Rēshen) in Japanese.
An old leshen that arrived through a portal to assume control of the Ancient Forest. Sometimes revered as an indigenous deity. Ancient Leshens use their wisdom and tactical knowledge to curse hunters and send packs of wild Jagras after them.
Ancient Leshen Details & Locations
- Found in: Ancient Forest
- Target of Quest: Contract: Woodland Spirit
- Is immediately hostile at any range
- Attacks other monsters: No
- See Leshen for a minor version.
- Small Monsters version: Controls Jagras and Revolture
- Size: 633.81
- Species: Relict
- HP: 67,500 (does not scale for multiplayer)
Ancient Leshen Combat Info
- This monster attacks with its claws, and commands a flock of Revolture and a group of Jagras to attack Geralt. It can also use wood magic to summon roots to attack or "defend".
- This monster can inflict Bleeding
- This monster is weak to Fire (⭐⭐⭐), Dragon (⭐⭐) andThunder (⭐⭐)
- Player can break the Ancient Leshen's Antlers, Body and Legs.
- This monster is resistant to Water and Sleep
- Kinsect Extract:
- Red: Head/Antlers
- Orange: Waist/Body
- White: Legs
Ancient Leshen Guide
This quest’s difficulty will be on par with Extreme Behemoth. While it is possible to solo, Ancient Leshen’s large health pool and summoning mechanics will make it extremely difficult. Gather some friends or find a lobby that is hosting this quest to easily find other players as SOS were little to none during the time tested.
Upon arrival quickly open your map and fly to Camp 11 in the Northeast as the Ancient Leshen starts in Quadrant 12. Pick up the Redpit slinger thats on the slope near camp. Jump across the gap, swing from the vine, and head down the root to be outside of the Leshen’s first area. Hopefully, one member of the team have wide range to share their buffs with the whole team. These buffs include:
- Mega Demondrug
- Mega Armorskin
- Demon Powder
- Hardshell Powder
- Attack Seeds
- Defense Seeds
Enter Quadrant 12 by crawling under the tree vine and have 1 member turn left, look up and shoot down the boulder onto the Leshen. Doing this deals 3375 damage to the Leshen and 480 to the surrounding Jagras. Another member should run up to the Leshen and drop their Health Booster. Other team members should dawn their Temporal Mantle and go to town. Temporal Mantle will negate heavy damage but the chip damage taken from the Leshen’s crow aura will bypass it thus needing the Health Booster on the ground to counter it. I usually refrain from popping my Temporal until a minute goes by so not all Temporal Mantles will be on cool down at the same time.
The Leshen fights similarly as the one everyone had to fight in Contract: Trouble in the Ancient Forest. His primary attacking are summoning roots to attack the player. The offensive version will travel in a linear V-shaped path while the defensive version will summon a wall of roots around the Leshen which will spread outward 3 times.If players get too close he will swing his arms punching the player away. He also have a root attack that will come up from the ground at the feet of a random player. This attack has a long range on where it can spawn and it has a moderate range from which it extends to. He can send out his murder of crows to attack the player in succession.
The deadly attack to watch out for is a CC type move from the Leshen which he will imprison a player with roots. The crows will deal damage over time as well as the Leshen may attack the player or summon his pack of Jagras until the Leshen will shoot a bursting root at the player. This attack is lethal as a 200 HP character with good defense will barely survive it let alone if they were already weak or was attack by other beings once caught. Luckily your teammates can save you if you are caught. Use the Hunter Runestone or Igni to set the roots aflame. Alternatively, players may also flash the Leshen which will break the hold.
The Leshen likes to teleport around the area, so using the slinger and shooting him will stagger him at times allowing your teammates to continue their onslaught. There are scatternuts, redpits, puddle pods, and the Leshen will drop dragon and piercing pods that all can be used.
When the Ancient Leshen summons his Jagras pack make sure to eliminate them as quick as possible. These Jagras are tanky and are highly annoying due to the vast number of them while the Leshen will enclose players in a root prison while distracted. Players that have long weapons like a longsword should focus them down to allow the other teammates to focus on the Ancient Leshen. If overrun use flash pods to temporarily stun the Leshen and all the Jagras.
At times the Ancient Leshen will cause a large rumble and explode scattering tons of crows throughout the map. This attack hits very hard so it’s not wise to try to tank it. This attack is similar to Teostra’s fire AOE which they charge up then explodes. A flash pod will be able to counter this attack or simply use your superman dive to safely avoid it. This attack may occur up to 4 times during this quest.
The Leshen has 2 different paths he may take during this quest.
- Path 1 is Quadrant 12, 8, 7, finally 6.
- Path 2 is Quadrant 12, 5, 4, finally 2.
- Hitting the Leshen with the boulder in Quadrant 12 is a must!
- Bring Temporal Mantles and Health Boosters
- Health Augment on your weapon can counter the chip damage from the Leshen’s crow aura.
- Having 1 player healing the team will improve success rate.
- If players have weapons that helps them mount, take advantage of it.
- Ancient Leshen is 3 star weak to fire, 2 star weak to dragon and thunder
- Poison is the ailment he is weakest to.
- Paralyze can allow players extra time to attack.
- Bring Flash Pods
- Bring your igni! (quest reward from witcher version) Its a great way to give you an opening and help care for the bats!
Ancient Leshen Weaknesses
Each ⭐star shown below represents more weakness to each ailment
In-game weakness information
Ancient Leshen High Rank Carves
Defeating this monster allows the player to carve the following items:
Ancient Leshen Carves
Ancient Leshen Weapons & Armor
Armor and Weapons related to the Ancient Leshen Monster.
Notes & Trivia
- Can be lured with ??
- Camouflage works until ?? range