Beotodus is a Large Monster in Monster Hunter World (MHW) ブラントドス (Burantodosu) in Japanese. It was added with the Iceborne Expansion on Sept 6th 2019. A unique and agile predator, Beotodus is recognized for its ability to hurl snow at prey using its leg fins. Hunters will encounter this creature in various quests such as Baptism by Ice and Deep Snow Diver, requiring strategic approaches to overcome its prowess in icy environments.
A piscine wyvern that uses the sharp fin on its head to cut through the frozen soil, swimming freely through the snow.
Can often be seen hurling snow at its prey using its leg fins."
Beotodus Details & Locations
- Found in: Hoarfrost Reach
- Target of Quests: Baptism by Ice, By Our Powers Combined, Deep Snow Diver, Ice Catch!, You Scratch Our Backs..., Trophy Fishin', Ballad of the Hoarfrost.
- Is hostile when at very close range
- Has Turf Wars with: Banbaro.
- Size: 1495.79≤ ~ ≥2044.25
- Species: Piscine Wyverns
- HP: ~12,296(Solo), 18,126(Duo), 27,051(3 or 4 Players)
Beotodus Combat Info
A snow-shark of sorts that can swim freely through the ground and emerge for agile and devastating takedowns. It inhabits areas where snow is deep, which slows hunter movement.
- Kinsect Extract:
- Red: Head
- Orange: Back
- White: Legs and Tail
- Hunters can use Screamer Pods to force it to surface.
- It will periodically cover itself in snow, much like Jyuratodus or Barroth cover themselves in mud which has to be broken before it will take weak-point damage.
- You can obtain shiny drops by attacking its tail.
Beotodus Combat Tips
- Equip with fire-type weapons for maximum effectiveness. Thunder weapons are a solid second choice with a 2-star weakness. Avoid dragon and ice-type weapons as their impact won't be significant.
- As the Beotodus is an ice-type creature, equip armor resistant to Ice.
- Bring Regular Potions and Honey for crafting more Mega Potions.
- Bring Flash Pods for temporary blindness, Screamer Pods crafted with Screamer Sacs to disrupt the Beotodus when it's underground, Nulberries to remove ice blight, and Hot Drinks to endure the cold.
- Consume Megademon Drugs and Armorskin for increased offense and defense.
- Bring traps for potential capture, offering an alternative strategy.
- Target Weak Points: Direct your attacks to the back, tail, and head to remove the snow armor. Aim for the fins when attacking from the sides.
- Underground Attacks: Utilize Screamer Pods or mount the Beotodus to knock it down and expose its legs. Seize the opportunity to attack its legs when it gets back up.
- Above-Ground Attacks: Stay alert during the Beotodus' above-ground assaults. Watch for dangerous ice attacks, predict moves like a big ice splash, ice shard jump, and attacks from below.
- Be cautious during the Beotodus's unique revving roar, signaling a charge or ice-blade attack.
- Dazed State: Exploit the Beotodus's dazed state near the end of the battle. Set traps or use bomb barrels for potential capture.
Beotodus MH World Combat Tips
The Beotodus belongs to the species of Piscine Wyverns found in colder regions. Just like one would expect, its weakness is the Fire Element while it excels in Icy Attacks and has no problems moving about in frozen soil. When up against the Beotodus, the first thing that you need to do is to equip Armor that provides Ice Resistance like the Jyura Alpha + Armor Set. You can also go for the Iceproof Mantle, Temporal Mantle, or Evasion Mantle. Equipping one of these tools will increase your chances of avoiding damage from the Beotodus while fighting it. For Decorations, you can equip jewels that add Ice Resistance or Evasion.
As for the Weapon, the Beotodus can be killed with any type of Weapon as long as you know what to target. If you are aiming for the Legs, you are better off with Cut and Ammo damage, with Blunt being the least priority because otherwise, you would aim for the head. Next to the Fire element, you may also consider getting a Thunder-based weapon to fight off Beotodus. It's the second most effective Element against the monster.
To beat the Beotodus, you have to understand some of its key movements, when, and what to attack. In essence, you will only be fighting the Beotodus in Hoarfrost Reach, which is a snowy region. Hunters need to maintain an ideal body temperature while exploring here so make sure to craft a Hot Drink on your way to the Beotodus' site. You can pick up Hot Pepper in the locale and these locations will be marked on your map. Keep an eye out on your gauge and make sure to consume a Hot Drink now and then.
The Beotodus is a snow-shark of some sort that likes to jump underground and onto the surface. It can execute attacks from below and will make use of its large frontal horn to skewer and throw Hunters off balance. Generally, you will want to stay on either side of the Beotodus and avoid any frontal attacks. Staying on its side will also allow you to aim for its breakable fins. Doing this will limit its attack patterns and render its Iceblight Attacks useless. When using a Blunt weapon, always go for its head and horns.
As the fight wears on, the Beotodus will cover itself in ice or stay below the surface. During this time, you will likely be inflicted with Ice Blight if its leg fins are still functional. Aim for the Ice Armor and make sure to dodge any ice attacks by rolling out of the path. You can use Screamer Pods to force it back to the surface if it burrows itself. As it comes up, be wary of its frontal horn attack. In case you are inflicted with an Iceblight, consume a Nulberry to remove its effects or jump into one of the nearby hot springs. It's best to keep a Nulberry in your Radial actions/commands to access it easily.
Finally, as you finish off the fight versus the Beotodus, always consider the possibility of capturing it instead of killing it so you can yield more rewards. A capture is equivalent to 5 carves, compared to the 3 carves you can do by killing a Beotodus.
Each ⭐star shown below represents more weakness to each ailment
Detailed weakness information(Legend Explanation: here)
Credits to AsteriskAmpersand, Deathcream and MoonBunnie.
Defeating this monster allows the player to carve the following items:
Beotodus Carves (Master Rank Only)
Beotodus Weapons & Armor
Armor and Weapons related to the Beotodus Monster. These are unconfirmed and pre-release information for now!
Notes & Trivia
- It is known as the "Frozen Fish Wyvern".
Acidic Glavenus ♦ Alatreon ♦ Ancient Leshen ♦ Anjanath ♦ Azure Rathalos ♦ Banbaro ♦ Barioth ♦ Barroth ♦ Bazelgeuse ♦ Behemoth ♦ Black Diablos ♦ Blackveil Vaal Hazak ♦ Brachydios ♦ Brute Tigrex ♦ Coral Pukei-Pukei ♦ Deviljho ♦ Diablos ♦ Dodogama ♦ Ebony Odogaron ♦ Fatalis ♦ Frostfang Barioth ♦ Fulgur Anjanath ♦ Furious Rajang ♦ Glavenus ♦ Gold Rathian ♦ Great Girros ♦ Great Jagras ♦ Jyuratodus ♦ Kirin ♦ Kulu-Ya-Ku ♦ Kulve Taroth ♦ Kushala Daora ♦ Lavasioth ♦ Legiana ♦ Leshen ♦ Lunastra ♦ Namielle ♦ Nargacuga ♦ Nergigante ♦ Nightshade Paolumu ♦ Odogaron ♦ Paolumu ♦ Pink Rathian ♦ Pukei-Pukei ♦ Radobaan ♦ Raging Brachydios ♦ Rajang ♦ Rathalos ♦ Rathian ♦ Ruiner Nergigante ♦ Safi'jiiva ♦ Savage Deviljho ♦ Scarred Yian Garuga ♦ Seething Bazelgeuse ♦ Shara Ishvalda ♦ Shrieking Legiana ♦ Silver Rathalos ♦ Stygian Zinogre ♦ Teostra ♦ Tigrex ♦ Tobi-Kadachi ♦ Tzitzi-Ya-Ku ♦ Uragaan ♦ Vaal Hazak ♦ Velkhana ♦ Viper Tobi-Kadachi ♦ Xeno'jiiva ♦ Yian Garuga ♦ Zinogre ♦ Zorah Magdaros