An elder dragon with the power to freeze all in its path.
According to legend, it can control the cold, and use its freezing breath to conjure massive spires of ice out of nowhere.
- Found in: All Biomes.
- Variation: Arch Tempered Velkhana (from The Place Where Winter Sleeps)
- Target of Quests: A Tale of Ice and Fire, The Defense of Seliana, The Iceborne Wyvern, Clashing Swords Upon The Rime.
- Is hostile when it sees you during Assignments, docile during Expeditions.
- Has Turf Wars with: Savage Deviljho, Kushala Daora, Lunastra, Ruiner Nergigante, Rajang and Teostra
- Will occasionally attack and freeze Small Monsters.
- Size: 2336.45 ~ 3193.14
- Species: Elder Dragons
- HP: ~23,400
Velkhana Combat Info
This icy new monster seems to be somewhere between a Rathalos and a Legiana, and will be the main antagonist of the expansion, in the way that Nergigante was to the original launch. As such we can expect the monster to appear after some story progression only, and its gear to be some of the best in the game.
- Kinsect Extracts:
- Red: Head/Tail
- White: Wings/Forelegs
- Orange: Hindlegs
- Enraged mode: Velkhana will scream and rise into the air.
- Velkhana will also use her ice beam attacks at shorter intervals
- The Enraged mode is completely independent from its Ice-covered Form.
- She is susceptible to double Slinger Burst into a wall, if fast enough (Slinger Capacity is recommended if you intend to use this tactic)
- Ice-covered Form
- Velkhana will cover its body in icicles. The icicles become its weak spots and can be broken off.
- Velkhana will be extra aggressive when in this form.
- It gains a variety of new ice attacks, such as using moisture in the air to create ice crystals that can fall on hunters, as well as summoning a cluster of ice that expands outward from the original targeted area.
- Its ice beam will create walls of ice that impede your movement.
- Most ice beam and ice breath attacks now also summon clusters of ice that shoot out of the ground along the path of the attack, bursting shortly after, and dealing large damage as well as knocking the hunter back.
- Tips and notes;
- Iceproof Mantle can be extremely useful in this fight.
- Velkhana's breath inflicts Iceblight, which it will project long range and all around itself when in the air.
- Keep in mind that its ice beam can not only shoot through its walls of ice, but occasionally the floor
- While in the air, a Slinger Burst will generally knock Velkhana to the ground unless it is enraged.
- While it's covered in its Ice-Armour, the parts of its body covered in ice become weak points, while the rest of its body becomes resistant to attacks.
- It will also leave clouds of frost on the floor. These can be used to go into the sliding animation on flat terrain and perform a sliding attack
- Breaking Velkhana's head or tail will sometimes stagger her out of her Ice-covered Form
- When in Velkhana's Ice-covered Form, she will still have a functioning tail to attack with even after severing it off
- The ice walls formed by Velkhana's attacks can be broken by attacking them
- Torch Pods can also be used to melt the ice walls
- After being broken/melted, the ice walls will leave behind a small platform of ice that you can climb on top of and jump off to perform aerial attacks
- Velkhana's sweeping ice beam attack can actually be dodged by jumping off of a small ledge or platform, if timed right.
- By timing the jump correctly, the hunter will hop over the ice beam as he jumps off of the ledge/platform.
- The ice platforms left behind by its ice walls after being broken/melted can be used to perform this maneuver.
- All things considered, this is probably the hardest mandatory fight of Iceborne. If you saved your Potions and Drugs for the right moment, now is the time to use them.
Each ⭐star shown below represents more weakness to each ailment
In-game weakness information
Velkhana Low and High Rank Carves
Defeating this monster allows the player to carve the following items:
|Crystal Shard (Dropped)||Master Rank ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||32% (28%)|
|Velkhana Cortex (Tail Carved)||Master Rank ⭐⭐⭐⭐||24% (27%)|
|Velkhana Hardclaw (Dropped)||Master Rank ⭐⭐⭐||19% (50%)|
|Velkhana Crownhorn||Master Rank ⭐⭐||8%|
|Velkhana Fellwing||Master Rank ⭐⭐⭐||15%|
|Velkhana Lash (Tail Carved)||Master Rank ⭐⭐⭐||9% (70%)|
|Velkhana Crystal (Tail Carved)||Master Rank ⭐||2% (3%)|
|Velkhana Cortex||Master Rank ⭐⭐⭐⭐||27%|
|Crystal Shard (Break Head)||Master Rank ⭐⭐⭐⭐||22% (32%)|
|Velkhana Hardclaw (Break Wings)||Master Rank ⭐⭐⭐||18% (30%)|
|Velkhana Crownhorn (Break Head)||Master Rank ⭐⭐⭐||8% (66%)|
|Velkhana Lash||Master Rank ⭐⭐⭐||13%|
|Velkhana Crystal (Break Head)||Master Rank ⭐||2% (2%)|
|Elder Dragonvein Bone||Master Rank ⭐⭐⭐⭐||63%|
|Large Elder Dragon Bone||Master Rank ⭐⭐||8%|
|Pure Dragon Blood||Master Rank ⭐⭐⭐||12%|
|Aurora Crownhorn||Master Rank ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐||37%|
|Elder Spiritvein Bone||Master Rank ⭐⭐⭐⭐||35%|
|Tempered Crownhorn||Master Rank ⭐⭐⭐⭐||64%|
|Great Spiritvein Gem||Master Rank ⭐||3%|
Velkhana Weapons & Armor
Armor and Weapons related to the Velkhana Monster.
Notes & Trivia
- It is known as the "Ice Dragon" and "The Iceborne Wyvern"
- A unique victory theme plays upon defeating Velkhana for the first time.
- It is the flagship monster of Monster Hunter World: Iceborne.