A standard sized whetstone. Used to restore a Weapon's sharpness.
The Whetstone is given to Hunters by the Research Commission as part of their preparations for exploring the New World.
Using a Whetstone will restore a Weapon to its maximum Sharpness (including boosts from the Handicraft Skill,) allowing it to maintain maximum damage output and avoid bouncing off Monster hides. Normally this requires about 7 seconds, but the process can be shortened to as low as 4 seconds with the Speed Sharpening Skill granted by Grinder Jewels and several Armor pieces.
Additionally, other Skills can be used to modify a Weapon's Sharpness or the effect of Sharpness on performance. These include:
- Handicraft, which adds to the Sharpness gauge of the currently equipped Weapon, even allowing it to reach higher levels
- Protective Polish, which prevents Sharpness loss for one minute after sharpening
- Razor Sharp/Spare Shot, which reduces all Sharpness loss by half
- Mind's Eye/Ballistics, which prevents attacks from being deflected, regardless of Sharpness
- Master's Touch, which prevents Sharpness loss on Critical Hits (Affinity)
- Bludgeoner, which raises Raw (physical) Attack Power as Sharpness falls to lower levels
- Felyne Deflector, which retains some Sharpness when attacks are deflected
- Felyne Bulldozer, which raises Attack when striking after a deflection