A standard sized whetstone. Used to restore a Weapon's sharpness.
The Whetstone is given to Hunters by the Research Commission as part of their preparations for exploring the New World.
Using a Whetstone will restore a Weapon's Sharpness (including boosts from the Handicraft Skill), allowing it to maintain maximum damage output and avoid bouncing off Monster hides. Multiple uses may be required to fully sharpen a Weapon. Normally this requires about 7 seconds (4 cycles), but the process can be shortened to as low as 4 seconds (1 cycle) with the Speed Sharpening Skill granted by Grinder Jewels and several Armor pieces. The Food Skill Felyne Polisher provides a similar effect. A faster alternative is the Whetfish Fin or Whetfish Fin+, though they are of limited supply and must be gathered by fishing for Whetfish.
Multiple sharpening speed effects do not stack. The strongest individual effect (lowest number of cycles) will be used while others are ignored. For example, level 1 Speed Sharpening has no effect if Felyne Polisher is already active.
Additionally, other Skills can be used to modify a Weapon's Sharpness or the effect of Sharpness on performance. These include:
- Handicraft, which adds to the Sharpness gauge of the currently equipped Weapon, even allowing it to reach higher levels
- Protective Polish, which prevents Sharpness loss for one minute after sharpening
- Razor Sharp/Spare Shot, which reduces all Sharpness loss by half
- Mind's Eye/Ballistics, which prevents attacks from being deflected, regardless of Sharpness
- Master's Touch, which prevents Sharpness loss on Critical Hits (Affinity)
- Bludgeoner, which raises Raw (physical) Attack Power as Sharpness falls to lower levels
- Felyne Deflector, which retains some Sharpness when attacks are deflected
- Felyne Bulldozer, which raises Attack when striking after a deflection