A mighty sword that makes up for it slack of mobility with huge, punishing attacks. The Great Sword can also block attacks, making it a good all-around weapon.
Great Sword (大剣) is a weapon category in Monster Hunter World (MHW). Like all Weapons, it features a unique moveset and an upgrade path that branches out depending on the materials used. Please see Weapon Mechanics for details on the basics of your hunter tools.
Great Sword Weapon Tree
For full details, please see Great Sword Weapon Tree
Great Sword Traits & Abilities
- It can be used to block.
- It has a "fast-draw" shield that causes sharpness deterioration but is effective defense in a pinch.
- Has powerful charge attacks
Great Sword Guide
A slow heavy weapon with massive damage potential. While using a great sword you can cut monster parts off, as well as break some heads if you need to. Because the weapon is so slow most people will keep the weapon sheathed and use draw attacks. Draw attacks are when you draw your weapon from its sheathe straight into a attack animation. After having made the attack you can sheathe your weapon and relocate to a better position. This attack can be charged to deal more damage. If you find you are about to be hit and dont have the time to dodge you can use your blade to block the attack. Your goal most of the time will be to cut off the monsters tail, break any other body part, then the head last, which can be changed around to fit you and your groups preference. Say you and your fellow hunters dont need the tail gone you can move to the head. If you find that the monster has been stunned or paralyzed you can use a fully charged attack on the head for massive damage. Its also possible to combo into a sideways blade bash that can stun monsters if used on the head. (refer to great sword controls)
Great Sword Advantages
- Deals High Damage
- Can be used to Block, and can be drawn for "Instant Guard" to shield (at the cost of sharpness)
- It has a long range for a melee weapon
- Can be used in Charge Attacks, that make monsters loose balance
- Sharpness deterioriation is the lowest of all weapons
Great Sword Disadvantages
- The High Damage output comes at the expense of mobility: Hunters are slow to attack and evade
- The Charge Attacks are slow to wound up, creating openings in defense
- Deceptively long and deceptively short at times, players must practice to understand its capabilities to the fullest.
Great Sword Controls
|All Great Swords Alphabetical