Affinity, also known as Critical Chance, in Monster Hunter World (MHW) is a weapon's chance to deal a bonus or a penalty to Damage on attacks. Some Weapons have innate Affinity, but it can also be increased with Skills and Equipment
How Affinity Works
Affinity is determined by the Weapon and Skills that are being used, and is displayed as a percent value in the Attack Status portion of the Equipment Info screen. At 0% Affinity there is no chance for a bonus or penalty to damage. A positive Affinity value denotes the chance for an attack to "crit," which applies a bonus of 25% to Physical (Raw) Damage. A negative value, on the other hand, denotes the chance to "blunder," which applies a penalty of 25% to Physical Damage.
The bonus Damage applied by critical hits can be increased by the Critical Boost Skill.
The effect of Affinity is signaled by a flashy slash animation and a specific sound.
Please note that Affinity ONLY applies to Raw Damage under normal circumstances. You must have the Critical Element skill active for it to apply to Elemental Damage or the Critical Status Skill to apply it to Status Damage.
Increasing Weapon Affinity
The following Skills and Equipment increase your weapon Affinity. Note that with the Critical Draw skill you will always Crit on a draw attack.
- Affinity Booster is a Specialized Tool that creates an Affinity cloud for you and fellow hunters.
- Critical Eye increases Affinity at all times
- Affinity Sliding increases Affinity after sliding
- Attack Boost increases Affinity at levels 4-7
- Weakness Exploit increases Affinity when striking a Monster weak spot
- Agitator increases Affinity when a Large Monster becomes enraged
- Maximum Might increases Affinity when Stamina is full
- Latent Power increases Affinity after certain conditions are met
- Critical Boost increases damage of critical hits
- Critical Element allows Affinity to affect Elemental Damage
Weapons with High Affinity