The Canteen in Monster Hunter World (MHW) refers to a Location in Astera, the main hub town. The Canteen offers two services - the purchase of Meals made from in-house ingredients, and an Oven Roasting service that turns meat and ingredients from the player's inventory into snacks that can be eaten during a hunt. Meals eaten at the canteen provide temporarily bonuses to your health, stamina, and may provide food skills.
The Canteen provides hunters with the nourishment they need before departing on a hunt.
Eating a meal at the Canteen can bestow any number of useful powerups.
You can also order an Oven Roast from the Handler.
Items used for an Oven Roast will be made into food, though depending on the item there may also be a few unexpected results!
The Canteen is located in:
- Upper Astera, easily accessible using the Lift system.
- Gathering Hub in Astera
- Seliana & Seliana Gathering Hub
- Every Camp when going on a quest or expedition.
- The Canteen allows you to bestow positive Status Effects on your character. Sometimes, negative effects may occur.
- Please see Food Skills for a complete list of possible effects.
- The Canteen allows players to order take-out food Items to be used later when in the field.
- Meal effects will wear off if you faint during a quest or expedition. They will also wear off once you complete, fail, or withdraw from a quest or expedition. After eating a meal you will be unable to eat again for 10 minutes.
The Canteen sells meals that can provide bonuses to your maximum health and stamina, the maximum health of your Palico, and Food Skills. Food Skills, like Armor Skills, provide various benefits to the character. The bonuses provided by meals are temporary, and last until one of the following occurs:
- You faint during a quest or expedition
- You complete, fail, withdraw, or return from a quest or expedition
Some meals may provide negative effects to the player.
Meals sold by the Canteen are composed of in-house ingredients - that is, ingredients not from the player's inventory. Ingredients come in four varieties - Meat, Fish, Vegetables, and Drinks - and can be Fresh or Normal. Between quests or expeditions, the ingredients that are fresh rotate randomly. Fresh ingredients provide higher health and stamina bonuses, and increased chance for the activation of Food Skills. Each fresh ingredient used will increase Activation Chance by a half star, maxing out at 3 stars for 6 fresh ingredients.
Players are offered the choice of pre-crafted meals, a Chef's Choice meal that automatically uses the freshest ingredients available, or can create custom meals using the ingredients available from the Canteen. While the selection of ingredients is small to begin with, players can embark on Optional Quests offered by the Feylene NPCs that run the Canteen in order to unlock new ingredients to be used in future meals.
The Canteen begins at Level 1 and is upgraded twice throughout the campaign, providing access to bigger and more complex meals.
- Level 1 Canteen - Maximum of 2 ingredients per meal
- Level 2 Canteen - Maximum of 4 ingredients per meal
- Level 3 Canteen - Maximum of 6 ingredients per meal
List of Food Ingredients in Monster Hunter World
Fresh ingredients grants a higher chance of Food skills activation as well as bonus HP for the Hunter and their Palico. (+10/+4 per fresh ingredient respectively, max at 5 for a +50/+20 HP bonus)
Flying Sparks: Tobi-Kadachi
Flying Sparks: Tobi-Kadachi
Tomatoes Red As Magma delivery
Fungal Flexin' in the Ancient Forest
Mushrooms: Nature's Smelly Bounty delivery
A Veggie Master of Disguise delivery
Phantasmagoric Paprika! delivery
Million Zenny Veggie delivery
A Tingling Taste
|Wyvern Amber Ale
Stuck in Their Ways
A Sore Site
Research Help: Phantom Bird
A Master's Toast delivery
A Fire-Spewing Brew delivery
RRRRRumble in the Waste!
Research Help: Capture the Ancient
Quest "Trapping the Tree Trasher"
Quest "Trapping the Tree Trasher"
Deliver Exquisite Butterbur
Deliver Millennium Butterbur
Deliver Snow White
|Tequila de Locos
Delivery Request "Lively Spirits"
Quest "Nighty Night Nightshade"
Quest "Nighty Night Nightshade"
Deliver Moonlight Icebloom
Deliver Snowpeak Icebloom
Quest "Simmer and Slice!"
Ingredient Activated Skills
While you can select which skill you want, they only have a certain probability to be activated. The more fresh ingredients are used, the higher are the odds skills will activate. (Red Stars) Vouchers and Gourmet Vouchers can guarantee food skills for you and everyone in your session.
Additionally, each type of food will grant bonus combat stats:
- Meats increase Attack (x2 = S, x4 = M, x6 = L)
- Fish increase Defense (x2 = S, x4 = M, x6 = L)
- Vegetables increase Elemental Resistance (x2 = S, x4 = M, x6 = L)
- Alcohols increase nothing.
Attack and defense boost obtained from size of boost:
Makes it 25% easier to mount monsters.
Makes it easier to stun monsters.
Allows to recover quickly when sent flying.
Prevents you from getting knocked on your butt.
Prevents fainting one time when damage taken exceeds your remaining health
|Vigor||Felyne Riser (Hi)
Greatly extends invulnerability period when getting up.
|Felyne Black Belt
Reduces stamina depletion by 20% from evading, blocking or doing certain other actions
Increases attack by 35% and defense by 50% when health is dangerously low.
Halves the effect duration of Defense Down and speeds up blight recovery.
Increases health recovery by 10% from items.
Increases the potency of abnormal status attacks.
Increases the power of normal shots (Normal S) and normal arrows by 10%
Increases ballista, sticky ammo and gunlance shell damage.
Upgrades Large Barrel Bombs to Mega Barrel Bombs
|Perception||Felyne Iron Carver
Prevents knockbacks while carving.
Increases the number of research points you receive at the end of a quest.
|Felyne Carver (Hi)
Often increases the number of times you can carve.
Reduces the time between gathering point respawns by 10%
|Felyne Fat Cat
Increases the amount of zenny you receive at the end of a quest.
Sometimes increases the number of reward items received at the end of a quest.
Allows for normal movement speed even in special terrain.
Shortens the cooldown before specialized tools can be reused.
Prevents your group from being penalized the first time a member faints.
Reduces the time before certain endemic life reappear.
Causes certain endemic life to drop slinger ammo when caught.
Makes rare endemic life more likely to appear.
Daily skills change between each quest. If the selected platter trigger Ingredients activated skills, they will override daily skills from top to bottom.
- Felyne Cliffhanger (Decreases stamina depletion when evading on walls or ivy by 25%)
- Felyne Fur Coating (Prevents or lessens the effects of blights and environmental damage.)
- Felyne Booster (Temporarily increases attack by 9 and defense by 15 at the start of a quest for 10 minutes.)
- Felynebacker (Prevents being knocked back when transporting item.)
- Felyne Provoker (Draws monsters' attention, increasing the likelihood of being targeted.)
- Felyne Researcher (Unlock investigations more easily during expeditions.)
- Felyne Defender (Lo) (13% chance reduce damage taken by 30%)
- Felyne Defender (Hi) (25% chance reduce damage taken by 30%)
- Felyne Temper (Increases bowgun damage, but also increases deviation.)
- Felyne Escape Artist (Decreases stamina depletion when fleeing from large monsters by 50%.)
- Felyne Weakener (Large monsters encountered on quests have an increased chance of being weaker than normal.)
- Felyne Insurance (Prevents your group from being penalized the first time a member faints.)
- Felyne Deflector (Helps your weapon retain sharpness when attacks are deflected.)
- Felyne Bulldozer (Increases attack power when you strike right after an attack is deflected.)
- Felyne Trainer (Speeds up Palico growth.)
- Felyne Fisher (Increases the likelihood that fish will bite when fishing.)
- Cool Cat (Temporarily increase attack by 9 for 30 seconds when you use the Sit gesture (previously Kick Back) for 5 seconds)
- Felyne Sprinter (Dashing depletes less stamina when transporting an item.)
- Felyne Gripper (Prevents some attacks from knocking you off of walls or ivy.)
- Felyne Weathercat (Foul weather occurs more often during a quest.)
- Felyne Lander (Prevents stumbling when jumping down from high places.)
- Felyne Parting Gift (Restores 100 health to allies in the area upon fainting)
- Felyne Dungmaster (Increases the likelihood that a monster will flee when hit with a dung pod.)
- Felyne Foodie (Food effects remain active even after you faint in battle.)
- Felyne Biologist ( Makes rare Endemic Life slightly more likely to appear.)
- Felyne Microzoologist (Makes small Endemic Life slightly more likely to appear.)
- Felyne Macrozoologist ( Makes large Endemic Life slightly more likely to appear.)
Oven Roasts allows you to give items to the felyne chef or pard (handler) to roast for you through the course of an expedition, investigation, assignment or optional quest. The item you give to the felyne chef will be returned to you as food with powerups.
The uncommon items are not guaranteed. You may receive all, some or none of them.
Oven Roasts List in Monster Hunter World
|Raw Meat||60 Points||4 Common||4 Ration|
|Blue Mushroom||40 Points||2 Common, 1 Uncommon||2 Ration, 1 Nutrients|
|Mandragora||40 Points||2 Common, 1 Uncommon||2 Ration, 1 Nutrients|
|Exciteshroom||40 Points||2 Common, 1 Uncommon||2 Ration, 1 Nutrients|
|Baitbug||30 Points||2 Common,||2 Ration|
|Whetfish Fin||60 Points||3 Common, 2 Uncommon||3 Ration, 2 Catalyst|
|Whetfish Fin+||90 Points||4 Common, 2 Uncommon||4 Ration, 2 Catalyst|
|Sushifish Scale||60 Points||3 Common, 2 Uncommon||3 Ration, 2 Herbal Medicine|
|Great Sushifish Scale||90 Points||4 Common, 2 Uncommon||4 Ration, 2 Herbal Medicine|
|Gajau Skin||45 Points||3 Common||3 Ration|
|Gajau Scale||90 Points||4 Common, 1 Uncommon||4 Ration, 1 Catalyst|
|Wingdrake Hide||45 Points||3 Common||3 Ration|
|Wingdrake Hide+||90 Points||4 Common, 1 Uncommon||4 Ration, 1 Catalyst|
|Barnos Hide+||90 Points||4 Common, 1 Uncommon||4 Ration, 1 Catalyst|
|Jagras Hide||45 Points||3 Common||3 Ration|
|Jagras Hide+||90 Points||4 Common, 1 Uncommon||4 Ration, 1 Catalyst|
|Shamos Hide||45 Points||3 Common||3 Ration|
|Shamos Hide+||90 Points||4 Common, 1 Uncommon||4 Ration, 1 Catalyst|
|Girros Hide||45 Points||3 Common||3 Ration|
|Girros Hide+||90 Points||4 Common, 1 Uncommon||4 Ration, 1 Catalyst|
|Pukei-Pukei Tail||100 Points||4 Common, 2 Uncommon||4 Ration, 2 Well-done Steak|
|Barroth Tail||100 Points||4 Common, 2 Uncommon||4 Ration, 2 Well-done Steak|
|Anjanath Tail||150 Points||4 Common, 3 Uncommon||4 Ration, 3 Well-done Steak|
|Great Girros Tail||150 Points||4 Common, 3 Uncommon||4 Ration, 3 Well-done Steak|
|Odogaron Tail||200 Points||4 Common, 4 Uncommon||4 Ration, 4 Well-done Steak|
|Rathalos Tail||200 Points||4 Common, 4 Uncommon||4 Ration, 4 Well-done Steak|
|Azure Rathalos Tail||250 Points||4 Common, 4 Uncommon||4 Ration, 4 Gunpowder|
|Dodogama Tail||200 Points||4 Common, 3 Uncommon||4 Ration, 3 Gunpowder|