Elemental Resistances in MHW
Each monster has strengths against specific damage types and Elemental Damage. For example a fire monster will take more damage from weapons that deal water damage but less damage from weapons that deal fire attacks. Monsters can also deal elemental damage to the hunter. Armor with high resistances to certain elements will cause you to take less damage and reduce the chances of getting elemental blights.
- Elemental weakness is not always a given. Just because a monster uses fire does not mean it is weak to water. Furthermore, monsters that don't use elemental attacks still have elemental resistances and weaknesses. Sometimes, the only way to know for sure is to kill a monster at look at the stats on the armor you make from it.
- Some monsters will have multiple resistances or have multiple elemental attacks. Some weapons might have mixed elemental damage as well.
List of Elemental Resistances
Resistances from Armor stats
- Defense: Not elemental, but the basic protection against raw damage
- Fire Resistance (Vs. Fire Element)
- Water Resistance (Vs. Water Element)
- Thunder Resistance (Vs. Thunder Element)
- Ice Resistance (Vs. Ice Element)
- Dragon Resistance (Vs. Dragon Element)
Resistances from Skills
- Defense Boost (not element)
- Stun Resistance (not element)
- Fire Resistance Skill
- Water Resistance Skill
- Thunder Resistance Skill
- Ice Resistance Skill
- Dragon Resistance Skill
Resistances from Food and Consumables