Sword & Shield
|Damage Type||Cut Damage|
Sword & Shield (片手剣) is a weapon category in Monster Hunter World (MHW). Like all Weapons, it features a unique moveset and an upgrade path that branches out depending on the materials used. Please see Weapon Mechanics for details on the basics of your hunter tools.
Sword & Shield Weapon Tree
For full details, please see Sword & Shield Weapon Tree
Sword & Shield Traits & Abilities
- Hunters can use Items with their weapons drawn and whilst guarding
- Fast recovery time, allowing for the chaining of attacks and blocks, at the expense of damage
- Wide range of Elemental Damage options, and useful to inflict Status Effects on enemies.
Sword & Shield Guide
Sword & Shield Advantages
- Quick attacks and evades create a well-rounded hunter
- Can guard and can use items while guarding
- Possibly high Elemental Damage, and good at inflicting Status Ailments.
Sword & Shield Disadvantages
- Each hit is not very powerful
- Guarding and blocking isn't as effective as for other heavier weapons.
- Sharpness decays rapidly due to the fast nature of the attacks.
Sword & Shield Controls
- Triangle: Standard Attack (Can chain up to 3 attacks)
- Circle: Special Attack (Can chain up to 3 attacks)
- While moving, Circle: Shield Bash (Does blunt damage, replaces first attack of normal circle combo)
- Triangle + Circle: Advancing Slash (Can make use of terrain)
- Midcombo, back on L + Circle (Hold): Charge Slash (Does not have charge levels, and launches the hunter into the air if it hits)
- After succesful Charge Slash, Triangle: Falling Slash (Does mounting damage)
- After succesful Charge Slash, Circle: Falling Bash (Does blunt damage)
- R2 + Triangle: Rising Slash
- R2 or L2 + Square: Use items
- R2: Block
- L2: Ready Slinger
- L2 + R2: Fire Slinger
|All Sword & Shields Alphabetical|