Sword and Shield
|Damage Type||Cut & Blunt Damage|
Sword and Shield (片手剣 kata te ken, "paired hand and sword") is a weapon category in Monster Hunter World (MHW). Like all Weapons, it features a unique moveset and an upgrade path that branches out depending on the materials used. Please see Weapon Mechanics for details on the basics of your hunter tools.
Lightweight and easy to use, the sword & shield also boasts outstanding attack speed. The shield can be used to guard, though it may not hold up to certain attacks.
Sword and Shield Weapon Tree
For full details, please see Sword & Shield Weapon Tree
Sword and Shield Traits & Abilities
- Hunters can use Items with their weapons drawn and whilst guarding
- Fast recovery time, allowing for the chaining of attacks and blocks, at the expense of damage
- Wide range of Elemental Damage options, and useful to inflict Status Effects on enemies.
Sword and Shield Guide
If you were to look in a Moster Hunter dictionary for the word versatility, you would find a picture of the Sword & Shield. High mobility, 2nd highest attack speed in the game, a mix of cutting and blunt attacks, a decent blocking ability, and the ability to use items and the slinger while still drawn, the Sword & Shield can do it all. On the offense, the Sword & Shield demands tenacity of its user. Hunters must stay on top of the monster and never stop attacking. The Sword & Shield specializes in rapid slashing combos, with the ocasional shield bash thrown in. This makes it equally good at severing tails and stunning monsters. Thanks to the light, quick nature of its attacks, the Sword & Shield has good reaction time when it comes to defense. Hunters can run at full speed, and dodge attacks without worrying about being locked into attack animations. The Shield part of the Sword & Shield also allows hunters to block monster attacks. While it is not the strongest block in the game, it is still an invaluable part of the Sword & Shield fighting style. Lastly, Hunters are able to use items and their slinger while their weapon is still drawn. This ability is useful in countless ways, from healing and buffing yourself and teamates, to traversing the map and shooting at distant targets.
Actions with Weapon Drawn
If you use the sword & shield, you can still use items or your slinger while your weapon is drawn. Use item: Hold or and press ID. Slinger: Hold and press D.
The Advancing Slash can be chained into various different actions depending on the type of terrain (ledges, slopes, etc.) you perform it on.
The sword & shield's fast attack speed can make up for its relatively low attack power, especially if you combine it with a sword that has elemental attacks that target your enemy's weakness.
Sword and Shield Advantages
- Quick attacks and evades create a well-rounded hunter
- Can guard and can use items while guarding
- Possibly high Elemental Damage, and good at inflicting Status Ailments.
Sword and Shield Disadvantages
- Each hit is not very powerful
- Guarding and blocking isn't as effective as for other heavier weapons.
- Sharpness decays rapidly due to the fast nature of the attacks.
Sword and Shield Controls
All attacks deal cut damage unless specified to deal blunt damage.
- Basic combo:
- + Advancing Slash --> Chop --> Side Slash --> Sword & Shield Combo
- Powerful combo:
- Lateral Slash --> Return Stroke --> Round Slash --> *Hold* Backstep & Charged Slash
- Combo to stun foes:
- + Shield Attack (Blunt Damage) --> Back Knuckle (Blunt Damage) --> Hard Bash (Blunt Damage) --> *Hold* Backstep & Charged Slash
- After successfully landing Charged Slash:
- Automatically performs Scaling Slash
- : Falling Slash (Mounting Damage)
- : Falling Bash (Blunt Damage)
- During a combo:
- + : Backstep
- + : Round Slash
- + : Spiral Slash --> : Thrust
- After jumping off a ledge:
- : Jumping Slash (Mounting Damage)
- Advancing Slash:
- + while not in a combo
- + while sheathed
- Advancing Slash off a ledge:
- Automatically performs Jumping Advancing Slash (Mounting Damage) --> : Jumping Slash (Mounting Damage)
- Advancing Slash onto a ledge:
- Automatically performs Rising Advancing Slash (Mounting Damage) --> : Jumping Slash (Mounting Damage)
- Advancing Slash into special walls:
- Automatically performs Helm Breaker (Mounting Damage)
- While Sliding:
- : Jumping Advancing Slash (Mounting Damage) --> : Jumping Slash (Mounting Damage)
- : Block
- : Rising Slash
- : Guard Slash
- : Ready Slinger
- + : Fire Slinger
- + or + : Use items
Sword and Shield Damage Values
Each move has its own hidden Combo Move multiplier (CM), which is used when calculating Raw (physical) Damage. See the article on Attack Power for more information.
Note: These figures are estimations reached through community testing.
|Moves||Hunter's Knife I (112 Attack Power) with yellow sharpness (1.0 Multipler)|
|Sword & Shield Combo||6 + 13|
|Falling Bash||19 + 17|
|Spiral Slash||8 to 11|
|Sheild Attack (Blunt)||5|
|Shield Bash (Blunt)||10|
|Hard Bash (Blunt)||20|
|Short Shield Bash (Blunt)||2 to 4|
|Jumping Advancing Slash||??|
|Rising Advancing Slash||??|
Sword and Shields are a type of Weapon in Monster Hunter World (MHW). This page shows a visual gallery of all different styles for Sword & Shield. Weapons are often upgraded based on previous decisions, with different paths leading to different looks and necessitating different materials. You can find detailed upgrade path information in the Sword & Shield Weapon Tree or by clicking each individual weapon below.
Sword & Shield Gallery MHW
Sword and Shield Ore Weapons
Sword and Shield Bone Weapons
Kulve Taroth Swords & Shields