|Damage Type||Blunt Damage|
Hammer (ハンマー hanmaa, "hammer") is a weapon category in Monster Hunter World (MHW). Like all Weapons, it features a unique moveset and an upgrade path that branches out depending on the materials used. Please see Weapon Mechanics for details on the basics of your hunter tools.
The hammer is a powerful blunt weapon with a surprising
amount of mobility. It's also possible to stun monsters by
delivering a hammer attack to the head.
Hammer Weapon Tree
For full details, including Iceborne Expansion Weapon Tree please see Hammer Weapon Tree
See Iceborne Hammers for a list of the expansion weapons.
Hammer Traits & Abilities
- Hard hitting moveset complemented by powerful charge attacks
- Doesn't hamper mobility despite its weight
- Deals only blunt damage, which stuns (KO) monsters
The ultimate evolution of sticks with a rock on the end, the Hammer is a fast, hard hitting weapon. As expected, the Hammer deals only blunt damage which makes it perfect for dealing stun damage and knocking out the monster. The Hammer's basic attacks are surprisingly fast for such a heavy weapon, and deal quite a bit of damage. They also have high chaining potential, and are very good at hitting the same spot over and over again, like the monster's head to rack up stun damage. Hammers can also do charge attacks. They have three charge levels, just like the Greatsword, but the Hammer allows hunters to run around while charging up their attack. The type of charge attack also changes base on if the hunter is standing still or moving when the attack goes off. The moving charge attack can also be chained into follow up attacks. Lastly, Hammers can do a self buff while charging. This buff increases attack damage and stun damage, and gives minor hyper armor during charge attacks. The Hammer was built to cave in monster skulls with brutal efficiency, and it is very good at its job.
You can perform a Power Charge to boost your attack power, stun power and flinch resistance while attacking, as well as to get access to more powerful versions of your attacks. The effect persists until you sheathe the weapon or get flinched (including roars)/tripped/knocked down.
Stuns can be achieved more easily by hitting monsters' heads with Upswings or Brutal Upswings.
Release R2 during a slide to perform an aerial spinning attack, or chain the Charged Slide into a Jumping Attack by pressing .
- Very High Raw Attack Power
- Good movement speed with weapon drawn
- Charged attacks are extremely powerful
- Can KO monsters and apply exhaust
- The best sliding attack in the game
- The ability to grapple onto monsters after a lv2 or 3 charge attack as well as quick clutch claw attack makes it very good at creating weak spots
- No guarding or evasive moves
- Heavy and slow attacks requiring practice to get them right
- Not favoured for Elemental Damage
- Relatively short reach
- Charging consumes stamina
Each move has its own Motion Value (MV), which is used when calculating Raw (physical) Damage. See the article on Attack Power for more information.
- : Overhead Smash (Can be chained up to 3 times). MVs:
- Overhead Smash I: 37
- Overhead Smash II: 23
- Upswing: 86
- + with weapon sheathed: Swing. MV: 20
- after Swing: Backswing. MV: 16
- : Big Bang (Can be chained up to 5 times, but the chain stops if an attack misses). MVs:
- I: 28
- II: 32
- III: 45
- IV: 65
- Finisher: 28 + 28 + 100
- (Hold): Charge (drains stamina).
- (Release) while standing still (Lv1/Lv2 can chain into Overhead Smash or Big Bang):
- Charged Side Blow (Lv1): 18
- Charged Follow-up ( after Charged Side Blow): 25
- Side Smash ( after Charged Side Blow / after Charged Upswing): 15
- Charged Upswing (Lv2): 38
- Charged Brutal Upswing (Lv2, Power Charged): 45
- Charged Big Bang (Lv3): 15 + 76
- Charged Brutal Big Bang (Lv3, Power Charged): 15 + 15 + 85
- (Release) while jumping/ while charge sliding: Jumping Charged Attack. MVs:
- Lv1: 65
- Lv2: 70
- Lv3: 80
- (Release) while sliding/wallriding: Midair Spinning Bludgeon. MVs: 25 * number of hits + 100
- (Release) while moving: Spinning Bludgeon. MVs: 26 + 18 * number of hits (up to 4)
- After 1st spin of Spinning Bludgeon, : Spinning Side Smash. MV: 19
- After 2nd or 3rd spin of Spinning Bludgeon, : Spinning Follow-up. MV: 56
- After 4th or 5th spin of Spinning Bludgeon, : Spinning Strong Upswing. MV: 86
- While holding , : Power Charge (Self buff, gives slight increase to damage/stun power and a Flinch Free effect while attacking. Lasts until weapon sheathed or hunter is staggered.)
- Hold up to Charge Lv2 or 3, then : Slinger Burst (a powerful slinger shot that has high chances of flinching the monster).
Hammers are a type of Weapon in Monster Hunter World (MHW). This page shows a visual gallery of all different styles for Hammers. Weapons are often upgraded based on previous decisions, with different paths leading to different looks and necessitating different materials. You can find detailed upgrade path information in the Hammer Weapon Tree or by clicking each individual weapon below.
Iceborne Hammers are Master Rank Hammers in Monster Hunter World Iceborne (MHW). These rare 9 and above weapons were added with the Iceborne Expansion and can only be obtained by players who own the expansion. The weapons use Master Rank Materials that can be obtained by completing quests and doing endgame content.
|Water Basher IV
|Aqua Flora +
|Glacial Bash I -
|Glacial Bash II
|Naaga Matraca I -
|Naaga Matraca II -
|Nyx Hammer I
|Nyx Hammer II
|Buona Flora +
|Hidden Breaker -
|Hidden Breaker + -
|Night Eternal -
|Lightning Bash IV
|Usurper's Thunder +
|Earth Ender I
|Earth Ender II
|Earth Ender III
|Baan Gavel I -
|Baan Gavel II -
|Striped Striker -
|Striped Striker + -
|Tigrex Hammer -
|Uragaan Hammer I
|Uragaan Hammer II
|Scorching Isshata +
|Makhlab al-Nasr I -
|Makhlab al-Nasr II -
|Mammoth Hoof I
|Mammoth Hoof II
|Blackwing Deathblow I
|Blackwing Deathblow II
|Diablos Shatterer III
|The Grinding Mallet
|Barroth Crusher I
|Barroth Crusher II
|Dios Tailhammer -
|Anja Fiercemaul I -
|Anja Fiercemaul II -
|Grinding Fulgur I -
|Grinding Fulgur II
|Dragonseal Basher I
|Dragonseal Hammer II
|Consummate Hammer -
|Magda Floga Reforged
|Soulfire Heel "Blaze"
|Soulfire Heel "Ruin"
|Soulfire Heel "Styx"
|Mane Malice Rajang
|Xeno Maph'agarna +
|Space Lord! Super-8
|Juicy Well-done Hammer
|Guild Palace Mace
|Royal Cross Mace
Hammers Gallery MHW
Hammer Ore Weapons
Hammer Bone Weapons
Kulve Taroth Hammers