|Damage Type||Blunt Damage|
Hammer (ハンマー hanmaa, "hammer") is a weapon category in Monster Hunter World (MHW). Like all Weapons, it features a unique moveset and an upgrade path that branches out depending on the materials used. Please see Weapon Mechanics for details on the basics of your hunter tools.
The hammer is a powerful blunt weapon with a surprising
amount of mobility. It's also possible to stun monsters by
delivering a hammer attack to the head.
Hammer Weapon Tree
For full details, please see Hammer Weapon Tree
Hammer Traits & Abilities
- Hard hitting moveset complemented by powerful charge attacks
- Doesn't hamper mobility despite its weight
- Deals only blunt damage, which stuns (KO) monsters
The ultimate evolution of sticks with a rock on the end, the Hammer is a fast, hard hitting weapon. As expected, the Hammer deals only blunt damage which makes it perfect for dealing stun damage and knocking out the monster. The Hammer's basic attacks are surprisingly fast for such a heavy weapon, and deal quite a bit of damage. They also have high chaining potential, and are very good at hitting the same spot over and over again, like the monster's head to rack up stun damage. Hammers can also do charge attacks. They have three charage levels, just like the Greatsword, but the Hammer allows hunters to run around while charging up their attack. The type of charge attack also changes base on if the hunter is standing still or moving when the attack goes off. The moving charge attack can also be chained into follow up attacks. Lastly, Hammers can do a self buff while charging. This buff increases attack damage and stun damage, and gives minor hyper armor during charge attacks. The Hammer was built to cave in monster skulls with brutal efficiency, and it is very good at its job.
You can perform a Power Charge to boost your attack power and some charged attacks. The effect persists until you put away your hammer or take damage.
Stuns can be achieved more easily by hitting monsters' heads with Charged Upswings or Charged Brutal Upswings.
Release R2 during a Charged Slide to perform Aerial Spins, or chain the Charged Slide into other moves by pressing attack buttons.
- Very High Raw Attack Power
- Players can run even with the weapon unsheathed
- Charged attacks are extremely powerful
- Attacks with the hammer are all blunt, so it can KO monsters with ease
- Heavy and Slow attacks require practice to get right
- Very low sharpness and Elemental Damage
- Extemely short reach for such a heavy melee weapon
- : Standard Attack (Can be chained up to 3 times). Esimated Damage:
- Ground Smash I: 15
- Ground Smash II: 37
- Upswing: 86
- : Big Bang (Can be chained up to 5 times if each attack hits, each hit deals more damage than the last). Estimated Damage:
- First: 28
- Second: 32
- Third: 45
- Fourth: 65
- Fifth: 28 + 28 + 100
- (Hold): Begin Charging (drains stamina). Estimated Damage:
- (Release) while standing still: Charged Smash (Can start Standard Attack chain)
- Charge Lv1: 19
- Charge Lv2: 38
- Charge Lv3: 15 + 76
- (Release) while jumping off of a ledge: Cannonball Spin (Estimated Damage: 30 * number of hits + 100)
- (Release) while moving: Spinning Bludgeon (A spinning attack that can hit up to 5 times). (Estimated Damage: 28 + 19 + 19 + 19 + 19 + 19 )
- After 1st spin of Spinning Bludgeon, : Spinning Side Smash (Estimated Damage: 19)
- After 2nd or 3rd spin of Spinning Bludgeon, : Spinning Followup (Estimated Damage: 56)
- After 4th or 5th spin of Spinning Bludgeon, : Spinning Strong Upswing (Estimated Damage: 86)
- While holding , : Power Charge (Self buff, gives slight increase to damage and stun power, and slight hyper armor while charging, consumes the charge attack, lasts until weapon shealthed or hunter is staggered)
Hammers are a type of Weapon in Monster Hunter World (MHW). This page shows a visual gallery of all different styles for Hammers. Weapons are often upgraded based on previous decisions, with different paths leading to different looks and necessitating different materials. You can find detailed upgrade path information in the Hammer Weapon Tree or by clicking each individual weapon below.
Hammers Gallery MHW
Hammer Ore Weapons
Hammer Bone Weapons