|Damage Type||Cut Damage|
Lance (ランス ransu, "lance") is a weapon category in Monster Hunter World (MHW). Like all Weapons, it features a unique moveset and an upgrade path that branches out depending on the materials used. Please see Weapon Mechanics for details on the basics of your hunter tools.
The lance is better at guarding than any other weapon. In addition to its long reach, its thrust attacks can be executed with little exposure to enemy attacks. Great for defense-oriented combat.
Lance Weapon Tree
For full details, including rare 9 and above weapons added with Iceborne please see Lance Weapon Tree
You can also see Master Rank Iceborne Lances.
Lance Traits & Abilities
- Strongest blocking ability in the game, matched only by its cousin, the Gunlance
- Excellent range and high attack power
- Charge attack that hits multiple times
- Very useful "back steps" to avoid enemy damage.
An unstoppable juggernaut, the Lance is a mighty weapon capable of going toe to claw with all but the strongest of monsters. Where other weapons would falter or dodge, the Lance blocks and retaliates. The Lance's shield is capable of blocking all but the strongest of attacks, and from the safety of the blocking stance, it can do a variety of attacks. When not blocking, the Lance only gets stronger with the ability to charge forward and skewer the monster, hitting it repeatedly. The Lance's basic attacks are accurate and long reaching, allowing it hit hard to hit targets with ease. Mastery of the Lance requires standing firm where other hunters would run, and striking with impunity.
Power Guard greatly diminishes pushback during a guard reaction. It also enables you to perform a quicker counterattack which you can chain further into an attack in any direction.
Dash Stepping and Guard Dashing
By combining Dash Steps with Guard Dashes, you should be able to stick close enough to a monster to maintain your offensive.
During a dash attack, you can also perform other actions like sidesteps, 180-degree turns, jumps, and guards.
- All moves either are blocks or can transition into moves that block, allowing for constant aggression with little fear for the user's own safety
- Very long range and high reach
- Best Guarding ability out of all weapons
- Precise attacks minimizes risk of bouncing on several notable monsters
- Surprisingly mobile due to guard dash and dash attack
- Counter claw, when successful guarantees a claw weapon attack or flinch shot
- Low attack power
- Slow movement speed with weapon drawn, reliant on guard dash and dash attack to reposition
- Can only hop to evade, which has inferior distance covered and i-frame compared with rolling
- High attack speed leads to fast sharpness deterioration
- Requires precise strikes on monster weak zones to achieve optimal damage
- The Guard ability is almost mandatory, as without it blocking causes chip damage and drains a lot of stamina.
Each move has its own Motion Value (MV), which is used when calculating Raw (physical) Damage. See the article on Attack Power for more information.
- : Mid Thrust (Can be chained up to three times and with High Thrust). MVs:
- Mid Thrust I: 20
- Mid Thrust II: 20
- Mid Thrust III: 27
- : High Thrust (Can be chained up to three times and with Mid Thrust). MVs:
- High Thrust I: 22
- High Thrust II: 22
- High Thrust III: 29
- + : Wide Sweep. MV: 20
- : Guard
- + : Guard Thrust. MV: 20
- + : Counter-thrust (Blocks and then returns with a powerful thrust). MVs:
- Cancel Thrust: 22
- charged Counter-thrust: 40
- + during Counter-thrust: Power Guard (drains stamina rapidly, improves guard immensely; gains Guard Up properties after a while).
- during Power Guard: Leaping Thrust
- during Power Guard: Counter-thrust (charged)
- + during Power Guard: Dash Attack
- + + : Guard Dash. MVs:
- ( after Guard Dash) Shield Attack: 14 (blunt damage)
- ( after Guard Dash) Leaping Thrust: 8 * number of hits
- + + / down a slope: Dash Attack (Gets faster and more damaging over time). MV: 11 * number of hits
- Midair : Dash Attack. MV: 25 (only for the aerial hit)
- during Dash Attack: Stop (cancels Dash Attack)
- during Dash Attack: Finishing Thrust. MVs:
- Finishing Thrust: 50
- Finishing Twin Thrust: 25 + 50 (requires at least one level of charge)
- + during Dash Attack/ down a slope: Advancing Jump
- / during Advancing Jump: Advancing Jump Thrust. MV: 30
- + during Dash Attack: Reverse Attack. MV: 50
- side + during Dash Attack: Dash Step (does not stop Dash Attack)
- + during Dash Attack: Dash Turn (does not stop Dash Attack)
- off a ledge: Jumping Thrust. MV: 30
- (Hold): Guard Shot
- + : Counter Claw. Being attacked in this state causes the hunter to grapple onto the monster, provide hyper armor (Rocksteady Mantle effect) temporarily, thus guaranteeing a weapon attack or flinch shot. Note that this move does not make the hunter invulnerable, they can still take damage but will not be knocked off the monster. MVs: 8 + 16 (2nd hit is blunt)
- + : Slinger Burst
- + : Leaping Thrust
- + + : Dash Attack
- + : switch between Guard Shot and Aim Slinger
Lances are a type of Weapon in Monster Hunter World (MHW). This page shows a visual gallery of all different styles for Lances. Weapons are often upgraded based on previous decisions, with different paths leading to different looks and necessitating different materials. You can find detailed upgrade path information in the Lance Weapon Tree or by clicking each individual weapon below.
Iceborne Lances are Master Rank Lances in Monster Hunter World Iceborne (MHW). These rare 9 and above weapons were added with the Iceborne Expansion and can only be obtained by players who own the expansion. The weapons use Master Rank Materials that can be obtained by completing quests and doing endgame content.
Lances Gallery MHW
Lance Ore Weapons
Lance Bone Weapons
Kulve Taroth Lances