|Damage Type||Cut Damage|
Lance (ランス ransu, "lance") is a weapon category in Monster Hunter World (MHW). Like all Weapons, it features a unique moveset and an upgrade path that branches out depending on the materials used. Please see Weapon Mechanics for details on the basics of your hunter tools.
The lance is better at guarding than any other weapon. In addition to its long reach, its thrust attacks can be executed with little exposure to enemy attacks. Great for defense-oriented combat.
Lance Weapon Tree
For full details, please see Lance Weapon Tree
Lance Traits & Abilities
- Strongest blocking ability in the game, matched only by its cousin, the Gunlance
- Excellent range and high attack power
- Charge attack that hits multiple times
- Very useful "back steps" to avoid enemy damage.
An unstoppable juggernaut, the Lance is a mighty weapon capable of going toe to claw with all but the strongest of monsters. Where other weapons would falter or dodge, the Lance blocks and retaliates. The Lance's shield is capable of blocking all but the strongest of attacks, and from the safety of the blocking stance, it can do a variety of attacks. When not blocking, the Lance only gets stronger with the ability to charge forward and skewer the monster, hitting it repeatedly. The Lance's basic attacks are accurate and long reaching, allowing it hit hard to hit targets with ease. Mastery of the Lance requires standing firm where other hunters would run, and striking with impunity.
Power Guard greatly diminishes pushback during a guard reaction. It also enables you to perform a quicker counterattack which you can chain further into an attack in any direction.
Dash Stepping and Guard Dashing
By combining Dash Steps with Guard Dashes, you should be able to stick close enough to a monster to maintain your offensive.
During a dash attack, you can also perform other actions like sidesteps, 180-degree turns, jumps, and guards.
- Ability to block and counter-attack quickly
- High Attack Power and Range
- Best Guard / Block of melee weapons
- Allows for consistent offensive play with incredible safety
- Precise attacks minimizes risk of bouncing on several notable monsters
- Slow and heavy
- Dodging may be difficult
- Requires precise strikes on monster weak zones to achieve optimal damage
Each move has its own hidden Combo Move multiplier (CM), which is used when calculating Raw (physical) Damage. See the article on Attack Power for more information.
Note: These figures are estimations reached through community testing.
- : Mid Thrust (Can be chained up to three times and with High Thrust). CM:
- Mid Thrust I: 21
- Mid Thrust II: 21
- Mid Thrust III: 29
- : High Thrust (Can be chained up to three times and with Mid Thrust). CM:
- High Thrust I: 23
- High Thrust II: 23
- High Thrust III: 29
- + : Wide Sweep. CM:
- Wide Sweep I: 21
- Wide Sweep III: 21
- : Guard
- + : Counter-thrust (Blocks and then returns with a powerful thrust). CM:
- Canceled Counter-thrust: 23
- Charged Counter-thrust: 42
- + L + : Guard Dash. CM:
- Shield Attack: 14
- Dive Thrust: 9 + 9 + 9
- + + : Dash Attack (Gets faster over time). CM:
- Dash Attack: 11 * number of hits
- Accelerated Dash Attack: 13 + number of hits
- During Dash Attack, : Cancels Dash Attack
- During Dash Attack, : Finishing Thrust. CM:
- Finishing Thrust: 52
- Two-Step Finishing Thrust (Accelerated): 26 + 53
- During Dash Attack, L forward + : Jump. CM:
- Dash Jump Thrust ( + ): 25 + number of hits
- Dash Jump Finishing Thrust ( during Dash Jump Thrust): 30
- Accelerated Dash Jump Thrust: 26 * number of hits
- Accelerated Dash Jump Finishing Thrust: 58
- During Dash Attack, L back + : Turn around. CM:
- Reverse Attack: 51
- Accelerated Reverse Attack: 54
- During Dash Attack, L left or right + : Side Dash (Does not stop Dash Attack)
- During Counter-thrust or at moment of blocked attack, + : Power Guard (Drains stamina rapidly, improves guard immensely)
Lances are a type of Weapon in Monster Hunter World (MHW). This page shows a visual gallery of all different styles for Lances. Weapons are often upgraded based on previous decisions, with different paths leading to different looks and necessitating different materials. You can find detailed upgrade path information in the Lance Weapon Tree or by clicking each individual weapon below.
Lances Gallery MHW
Lance Ore Weapons
Lance Bone Weapons
Kulve Taroth Lances