|Damage Type||Cut Damage|
Lance (ランス) is a weapon category in Monster Hunter World (MHW). Like all Weapons, it features a unique moveset and an upgrade path that branches out depending on the materials used. Please see Weapon Mechanics for details on the basics of your hunter tools.
The lance is better at guarding than any other weapon. In addition to its long reach, its thrust attacks can be executed with little exposure to enemy attacks. Great for defense-oriented combat.
Lance Weapon Tree
For full details, please see Lance Weapon Tree
Lance Traits & Abilities
- Strongest blocking ability in the game, matched only by it's cousin, the Gunlance
- Excellent range and high attack power
- Charge attack that hits multiple times
- Very useful "back steps" to avoid enemy damage.
An unstoppable juggernaut, the Lance is a mighty weapon capable of going toe to claw with all but the strongest of monsters. Where other weapons would falter or dodge, the Lance blocks and retaliates. The Lance's shield is capable of blocking all but the strongest of attacks, and from the safety of the blocking stance, it can do a variety of attacks. When not blocking, the Lance only gets stronger with the ability to charge forward and skewer the monster, hitting it repeatedly. The Lance's basic attacks are accurate and long reaching, allowing it hit hard to hit targets with ease. Mastery of the Lance requires standing firm where other hunters would run, and striking with impunity.
Power Guard greatly diminishes pushback during a guard reaction. It also enables you to perform a quicker counterattack which you can chain further into an attack in any direction.
Dash Stepping and Guard Dashing
By combining Dash Steps with Guard Dashes, you should be able to stick close enough to a monster to maintain your offensive.
During a dash attack, you can also perform other actions like sidesteps, 180-degree turns, jumps, and guards.
- Ability to block and counter-attack quickly
- High Attack Power and Range
- Best Guard / Block of melee weapons
- Slow and heavy
- Dodging is difficult
- Triangle: Mid Thrust (Can be chained up to three times and with High Thrust)
- Circle: High Thrust (Can be chained up to three times and with Mid Thrust)
- Triangle + Circle: Wide Sweep
- R2: Guard
- R2 + Circle: Counter-thrust (Blocks and then returns with a powerful thrust)
- R2 + L + Triangle: Guard Dash
- R2 + Triangle + Circle: Dash Attack (Gets faster over time)
- During Dash Attack, X: Cancels Dash Attack
- During Dash Attack, Triangle: Finishing Thrust
- During Dash Attack, L forward + X: Jump
- During Dash Attack, L back + Triangle: Turn around
- During Dash Attack, L left or right + X: Side Dash (Does not stop Dash Attack)
- During Counter-thrust or at moment of blocked attack, R2 + X: Power Guard (Drains stamina rapidly, improves guard immensely)