|Damage Type||Cut Damage|
Charge Blade (チャージアックス chyaaji akkusu, "charge axe") is a weapon category in Monster Hunter World (MHW). Like all Weapons, it features a unique moveset and an upgrade path that branches out depending on the materials used. Please see Weapon Mechanics for details on the basics of your hunter tools.
Sword mode boasts mobility and high guard capabilities, while axe mode boasts more powerful attacks. Store up energy while in sword mode, and then use it to deal high damage in axe mode.
Charge Blade Weapon Tree
For full details, including the Rare 9 and above Iceborne Expansion Weapons please see Charge Blade Weapon Tree
See the new Master Rank Iceborne Charge Blades.
Charge Blade Traits & Abilities
- A complex weapon with a sword & shield form and an axe form that both use a phial system.
- Sword & shield form strikes a balance between mobility, defense, and attack.
- Axe form trades out defense for powerful attacks, good reach, and the phial's bonus.
- Sword & shield form builds up charge that can be stored into phials and unleashed in axe form.
Charge Blade Guide
The most complicated melee weapon in the game, the Charge Blade has two forms and a phial system. Sword & Shield form is the default form and has a nice blend of mobility, defense, and attack. Its combos revolve around alternating between swift and charge strikes with the sword with the occasional shield jab. The main goal of sword & shield form is to build up charge by hitting the monster, and then storing the charge into the phials. The phials are then used in axe form. Axe form has impressive reach and a bit of mobility, but its true power comes from the phials. Some axe attacks use phials, and cause explosions when they impact. The Charge blade only has 5 phials, so these explosive attacks are limited. A third option is also available, where instead of unleashing the phials in the axe, they are used to energize the shield. An energized shield causes phial damage when you block and jab with it, and certain sword attacks will also have the phial's explosive bonus. If a hunter can build up more phials before the shield's energy wears off, they can unleash all phials and the shield's energy in a massive explosion while in axe form.
Sword: Condensed Element Slash
By chaining a Charge into a Condensed Element Slash while Element Boost is active, your attacks in Sword Mode will also temporarily benefit from phial effects.
Guard Reaction Combos
When blocking an attack, the guard reaction can be chained into a Sword: Morph Slash, an Axe: Amped Element Discharge, or various other attacks.
Attacks with a charge blade are harder to deflect when its phial effects are active, which is useful when targeting tough body parts.
Charge Blade Advantages
- Sword & Shield form is versatile with decent offensive capability, excellent mobility as well as guarding
- Guard pointing allows experienced hunters to counter attack against monster offenses
- Axe form is capable of massive damage
- Has 3 different power-up forms, and one can pick and choose which one(s) to activate depending on personal preferences and the circumstances of the fight
- Phial effects can be accessed in both forms and provide extra damage and/or stunning power
Charge Blade Disadvantages
- Complex moveset takes time to learn
- Guarding against attacks deteriorates sharpness
- Sword & Shield form has limited range
- Long windups on axe mode (Super-) Amped Elemental Discharge
Charge Blade Controls
Each move has its own hidden Combo Move multiplier (CM), which is used when calculating Raw (physical) Damage. See the article on Attack Power for more information.
Note: These figures are estimations reached through community testing.
- or Y: Standard Attack (Can be chained up to three times, third attack blocks at the end of the animation). CM:
- Rising Slash: 12
- Return Stroke: 15
- Roundslash: 28
- or B (Hold): Charged Double Slash (Must be timed, can start combos, abnormally high charge build up). CM:
- Charged Single Slash: 13
- Charged Double Slash: 28 + 19
- + or Y+ B: Forward Slash (Can start combos and start slides into jumping attacks)
- CM: 20
- Midcombo, + or Y + B: Shield Thrust (Deals phial damage if shield is charged)
- CM: 13 + 9
- Midcombo, L + or L + B: Sliding Slash
- CM: 25
- + or R + Y: Sword Morph Slash (Start up animation can block attacks, changes to axe mode)
- CM: 45
- + or R + B: Charge Phials (Requires charge, yellow charge fills 3 phials while red fills all 5)
- or R: Guard (Deals phial damage if shield is charged, costs sharpness)
- During Charge Phials, or Y(Hold): Condensed Element Slash (Must be timed, imbues the sword with the phial's damage for a short time)
- CM: 75
- or Y: Standard Attack (First attack changes if hunter is moving or stationary, can be chained up to 3 times, can be chained with Element Discharges). CM:
- Rising Slash: 36
- Overhead Slash: 37
- Slam Attack: 45
- or B: Element Discharge (Expends one phial if available, causes explosions if phial is spent, can be chained up to 3 times, can be chained with Stardard Attacks). CM:
- Element Discharge I: 21 + 4 Explosion damage
- Element Discharge II: 11 + 68 + 4*2 Explosion damage
- + then : Savage Axe Slash (Use this when you've got at least one phial charged to go into power axe mode, increasing your damage output in axe mode.)
- Wait during Element Discharge II until your character backs up then press to perform Smash
- + or Y + B: Amped Element Discharge (Large wind up, expends all phials for a massive explosion, has a special Super version if shield is charged, ends in sword & shield mode, can also be done after Shield thrust)
- CM: 102 + 10*3 Explosion damage
- During the start of Amped Element Discharge, Back on L + : Cancels Amped Element Discharge into tier 3 Element Discharge
- During the start of Amped Element Discharge, or R: Elemental Roundslash (Stores phials in shield making it charged, ends in sword and shield mode)
- or R: Axe Morph Slash (Changes to sword & shield mode, end of animation can block attacks)
Phials bursts are incapable of critting, negitive or positive affinity does not affect them at all.
Charge Blades are a type of Weapon in Monster Hunter World (MHW). This page shows a visual gallery of all different styles for Charge Blades. Weapons are often upgraded based on previous decisions, with different paths leading to different looks and necessitating different materials. You can find detailed upgrade path information in the Charge Blade Weapon Tree or by clicking each individual weapon below.
Iceborne Charge Blades are Master Rank Charge Blades in Monster Hunter World Iceborne (MHW). These rare 9 and above weapons were added with the Iceborne Expansion and can only be obtained by players who own the expansion. The weapons use Master Rank Materials that can be obtained by completing quests and doing endgame content.
Iceborne Charge Blades
Charge Blades Gallery MHW
Charge Blade Ore Weapons
Charge Blade Bone Weapons
Kulve Taroth Charge Blades