|Damage Type||Slashing Damage|
Insect Glaive (操虫棍 Sōchūkon, "steering insect club") is a weapon category in Monster Hunter World (MHW). Like all Weapons, it features a unique moveset and an upgrade path that branches out depending on the materials used. Please see Weapon Mechanics for details on the basics of your hunter tools.
The insect glaive can be used to control a Kinsect, a small insect that harvests extracts from monsters to boost your abilities. The insect glaive also allows you to vault, so you can perform jumping attacks at any time.
Insect Glaive Weapon Tree
For full details, including tier 9 and above weapons added with Iceborne please see Insect Glaive Weapon Tree
You can also see Master Rank Iceborne Insect Glaives
Insect Glaive Traits & Abilities
- Rapid, flowing attacks with good range
- Unparalleled aerial abilities
- Kinsect provides strong self buffs and can be upgraded via Kinsect Trees.
Insect Glaive Guide
The Insect Glaive is a fast, fluid weapon with a unique aerial moveset. On the ground, the Insect Glaive has rapid combos with good range that can be interrupted to dodge the monster. However, Insect Glaive can also vault to launch itself in the air, which allows it to have access to its jumping attacks without the help of the environment. While the aerial attacks deal pretty low damage (except for Descending Thrust), they can be used to evade sweeping attacks, reposition or chase down a monster, making it one of the most mobile weapons in the game. Despite this great mobility, a ground focused play-style is still recommended for maximum dps as its attacks have much higher motion values and much lower attack commitments (easier to dodge out of).
The other half of the Insect Glaive is the Kinsect. The Kinsect is a large insect that sits on the hunter's arm. The hunter can command the Kinsect to go out, hit the monster to collect essence, and then come back. Four types of essence are available: Red, Orange, White and Green. Red is the essential attack buff, white is movement speed, orange is defense and green is healing. Collecting red, white, and orange buffs together will create a triple buff state which increases the hunter's power even more.
Weapon and Kinsect Combinations
You can equip your insect glaive with different types of Kinsects. Consider each Kinsect type alongside the glaive type boosts to find effective combinations.
Your Kinsect will recover a small amount of stamina if you recall it before its stamina completely runs out.
Midair Evasion and Attacks
One Midair Evade and one midair attack can be used each time you're in midair. Jumping off again from a monster before you land allows you to perform each action once more.
Insect Glaive Advantages
- Extreme mobility
- Good at mounting monsters
- Fast attacks
- Short ground attack animations, easy to dodge out of
- Great reach, both vertical and horizontal
- Fluid combos can be chained indefinitely or stopped to perform an evasive maneuver
- Kinsect can deal constant (albeit relatively low) damage once a monster is tagged
- Kinsect clouds from tagged monsters allows for extra damage, CC or healing
- Kinsect can be used to remotely trigger environmental hazards such as Flashflies, Toads, and Poisoncups
Insect Glaive Disadvantages
- Relatively low attack power
- Must rely on dodging for defensive measures
- Loses sharpness very quickly if you don't have ways to mitigate that (e.g. Master's Touch)
- Requires a bit of multitasking to manage all the buffs
- Orange buff is required to avoid getting flinched during attacks
- Very mediocre clutch attack that can often whiff almost entirely
Insect Glaive Controls
Each move has its own Motion Value (MV), which is used when calculating Raw (physical) Damage. See the article on Attack Power for more information.
- : Standard Attack (can be chained up to 3 times). MVs:
- Thrust ( + ): 10
- Rising Slash: 16 + 14
- Reaping Slash: 18
- Double Slash: 18 + 24
- (Red Extract) Strong Thrust ( + ): 12 + 11
- (Red Extract) Strong Rising Slash Combo: 16 + 14 + 15
- (Red Extract) Strong Reaping Slash: 15 + 19
- (Red Extract) Strong Double Slash: 16 + 14 + 28
- : Strong Attack (can be chained with Standard Attacks). MVs:
- Leaping Slash ( + ): 26
- Wide Sweep: 22
- Overhead Smash: 30
- (Red Extract) Strong Wide Sweep: 18 + 22
- (Red Extract) Tornado Slash: 24 + 42
- + : Kinsect: Harvest Extract (sends the Kinsect out to retrieve extract at the spot where you're aiming at)
- + : Kinsect: Recall
- + : Kinsect (Fire) (fires a marker that the Kinsect will attack repeatedly as long as it has stamina)
- : Kinsect (Mark Target) (leaves a marker that the Kinsect will target)
- + : Vault (launches the hunter into the air, costs stamina)
- Midair : Jumping Slash. MVs:
- Jumping Slash: 15
- (Red Extract) Strong Jumping Slash: 8 * number of hits (high mount damage)
- Midair : Jumping Advancing Slash (bounces back up in the air if the final hit connects, can be repeated up to 5 times or until stamina runs out). MVs:
- Jumping Advancing Slash: 28
- (Red Extract) Strong Jumping Advancing Slash: 6 + 4 + 7 + 4 + 3 + 32
- Midair : Midair Evade (costs stamina, can only be done once but resets after a Jumping Advancing Slash)
- Midair : Descending Thrust (plunges straight down, attacks with the kinsect multiple times through a piercing line and marks the target). MVs: 28 + 42 + 7 + 36
- after Descending Thrust: Double Slash/(Red Extract) Strong Double Slash
- after Descending Thrust: Overhead Smash/(Red Extract) Tornado Slash
- Midair : Midair Claw Attack
- while sliding: Jumping Advancing Slash/(Red Extract) Strong Jumping Advancing Slash
- + : switch between Kinsect and Slinger aim
- + + : Kinsect Charge, use slinger ammo to power up your Kinsect.
- Kinsect Charge (Power): Increases Kinsect raw/elemental attack power and dust strength, increases Kinsect healing and decreases time between dust deposits. Also extends individual extracts duration by 50%.
- Kinsect Charge (Spirit): Doubles the Kinsect maximum stamina and stamina regen rate. Also extends all extracts duration by 50%, including triple buff.
Kinsect Essences can change how you use your glaive and is essential for maximizing output. Below are the colors and what they do.
- Red = Gives access to more powerful versions of your attacks; it's mandatory to have it active at all times. Generally acquired from the monster's attacking parts (head/arms). Lasts for 90 seconds.
- White = Increases the hunter's speed and the height of your vaults. Generally acquired from the monster's mobile parts (legs/wings). Lasts for 120 seconds.
- Orange = Increases the hunter's defense by 5% and adds knockback resistance while attacking. Generally acquired from the monster's defensive parts (body/tail). Lasts for 150 seconds.
- Green = Recovers a small amount of health. Generally acquired from the monster's tail when available.
Note that the extract locations are just guidelines: not all monsters have all essence colors available or have them in the same spots. It's also important to note that essences are also available from small monsters as well.
Comboing different essences together will give you the following additional buffs:
- Red + White = 10% Attack increase
- White + Orange = 10% Defense increase
- Red + White + Orange (triple buff) = 15% Attack increase + 10% Defense increase. Lasts for 90 seconds.
Essences can be individually refreshed before they expire unless you have triple buff active.
Insect Glaives are a type of Weapon in Monster Hunter World (MHW). This page shows a visual gallery of all different styles for Insect Glaives. Weapons are often upgraded based on previous decisions, with different paths leading to different looks and necessitating different materials. You can find detailed upgrade path information in the Insect Glaive Weapon Tree or by clicking each individual weapon below. Please see Kinsect for information on your companion insects.
Iceborne Insect Glaives are Master Rank Insect Glaives in Monster Hunter World Iceborne (MHW). These rare 9 and above weapons were added with the Iceborne Expansion and can only be obtained by players who own the expansion. The weapons use Master Rank Materials that can be obtained by completing quests and doing endgame content.
Iceborne Insect Glaives
|Chrome Trident I Sever Boost
|Chrome Trident II Sever Boost
|Chrome Trident III Sever Boost
|Royal Bolt Scepter Spirit and Strength Boost
|Royal Bolt Scepter + Spirit and Strength Boost
|Firedance Rathmaul + Sever Boost
|Azure Flightmaster Sever Boost
|Yatir al-Nasr I n/a Speed Boost
|Yatir al-Nasr II n/a Speed Boost
|Dios Rod n/a Blunt Boost
|Electrorod Blunt Boost
|Diving Destroyer I Speed Boost
|Diving Destroyer II Speed Boost
|Hidden Cane I n/a Sever Boost
|Hidden Cane II Sever Boost
|Freeze Gale III Element Boost
|Amber Piton n/a Element Boost
|Amber Piton + n/a Element Boost
|Fenrir Storm n/a Element Boost
|Datura Storm I Stamina Upgrade and Healing
|Datura Storm II Stamina Upgrade and Healing
|Nyx Blade I Speed Boost
|Nyx Blade II Speed Boost
|Gama Magnus I Stamina Upgrade and Healing
|Gama Magnus II Stamina Upgrade and Healing
|Flaming Teuza Spirit and Strength Boost
|Flaming Teuza + Spirit and Strength Boost
|Glavenus Helldait Spirit and Strength Boost
|Aerial Magus I Spirit and Strength Boost
|Aerial Magus II Spirit and Strength Boost
|Aerial Magus III Spirit and Strength Boost
|Icescepter Speed Boost
|Wise Fylos Speed Boost
|Deathstaff Vaal Entoma Blunt Boost
|Hydros Arcana Spirit and Strength Boost
|Gnashing Flammenkaefer + n/a Blunt Boost
|Lohenspire n/a Blunt Boost
|Donnerspitze n/a Stamina Upgrade and Healing
|Donnerspitze + n/a Stamina Upgrade and Healing
|Fulguration's Tower n/a Stamina Upgrade and Healing
|Water Glaive IV Element Boost
|Laguna Glaive I Element Boost
|Laguna Glaive II Element Boost
|Rex Rod I n/a Blunt Boost
|Rex Rod II Blunt Boost
|Tyrannis Glaive III Stamina Upgrade and Healing
|Thanatos Glaive Stamina Upgrade and Healing
|Sulfurteinn Spiran Sever Boost
|The Trickling Spiral Sever Boost
|Beo Glaive I Blunt Boost
|Beo Glaive II Blunt Boost
|Kadachi Fury I Speed Boost
|Kadachi Fury II Speed Boost
|Kadachi Vipertail I Speed Boost
|Kadachi Vipertail II Speed Boost
|Vice + Speed Boost
|Cruelty Speed Boost
|Nether Vajra n/a Spirit and Strength Boost
|Deadline n/a Spirit and Strength Boost
|Dragonseal Aldstaff I Element Boost
|Dragonseal Aldstaff II Element Boost
|Infinite Wisdom Spirit and Strength Boost
|Celestial Spire n/a Element Boost
|Daora's Samudra Stamina Upgrade and Healing
|Fate's Wing n/a Stamina Upgrade and Healing
|Soulfire Reach "Blaze"
|Soulfire Reach "Ruin"
|Soulfire Reach "Styx"
|Xeno Shmaena +
|Nexus Gae Bolg
|Guild Palace Rod
|Royal March Banner
Insect Glaives Gallery MHW
Insect Glaive Ore Weapons
Insect Glaive Bone Weapons
Kulve Taroth Insect Glaive