|Damage Type||Slashing Damage|
Insect Glaive (操虫棍 Sōchūkon, "steering insect club") is a weapon category in Monster Hunter World (MHW). Like all Weapons, it features a unique moveset and an upgrade path that branches out depending on the materials used. Please see Weapon Mechanics for details on the basics of your hunter tools.
The insect glaive can be used to control a Kinsect, a small insect that harvests extracts from monsters to boost your abilities. The insect glaive also allows you to vault, so you can perform jumping attacks at any time.
Insect Glaive Weapon Tree
For full details, please see Insect Glaive Weapon Tree
Insect Glaive Traits & Abilities
- Rapid, flowing attacks with good range
- Unparalleled aerial abilities
- Kinsect provides strong self buffs and can be upgraded via Kinsect Trees.
Insect Glaive Guide
The Insect Glaive is a fast, fluid weapon with unmatched aerial abilities. On the ground, the Insect Glaive has rapid combos with good range. However, this weapon truly shines with its pole vault ability. Anytime, anywhere, the hunter can pole vault to launch themselves into the air. From there, the Insect Glaive can do air dash up to two times to get a better position, attack mid air, or drop attack. If the air attack hits the monster, the air dash resets, allowing it to be used again. Using this, a hunter could stay in the air until their stamina runs out or they miss the monster. All attacks made in the air do mounting damage, making the Insect Glaive ideal for mounting monsters. The other half of the Insect Glaive is the Kinsect. The Kinsect is a large insect that sits on the hunter's arm. The hunter can command the Kinsect to go out, hit the monster to collect essence, and then come back. Four types of essence are available: Red, Orange, White, and Green. Red is an attack buff, orange is defense, white is movement speed, and green is healing. Collecting red, orange, and white buffs will create a max buff, extending the time those buffs last and making them stronger.
Weapon and Kinsect Combinations
You can equip your insect glaive with different types of Kinsects. Consider each Kinsect type alongside the glaive type boosts to find effective combinations.
Your Kinsect will recover a small amount of stamina if you recall it before its stamina completely runs out.
Midair Evasion and Attacks
One Midair Evade and one midair attack can be used each time you're in midair. Jumping off again from a monster before you land allows you to perform each action once more.
Insect Glaive Advantages
- Extreme mobility
- Good at mounting monsters
- Fast attacks
- Powerful self buffs
- Great reach; both vertical and horizontal
- Fluid combos can be chained indefinitely or stopped to an evasive maneuver; performs admirably at cutting tails
- Strong finishers
- Kinsect can deal constant (albeit relatively low) damage once a monster is tagged
- Kinsect clouds/ mist from tagged monsters allows for versatile support role; paralysis, poison, blast, and healing.
Insect Glaive Disadvantages
- Relatively low attack power
- Must rely on dodging for defensive measures
- High stamina cost (in air)
- Absurd sharpness loss tempo
- Relies on kinsect's extract to perform notably
Insect Glaive Controls
Each move has its own hidden Combo Move multiplier (CM), which is used when calculating Raw (physical) Damage. See the article on Attack Power for more information.
Note: These figures are estimations reached through community testing.
- : Standard Attack (First attack is slightly different if moving forward, can be chained up to 3 times). CM:
- Thrust (Upward + ): 10
- Rising Slash: 15 + 14
- Backward Sweep: 18
- Double Slash: 18 + 24
- (With Red Extract) Thrust (Upward + ): 11 + 10
- (With Red Extract) Rising Slash: 15 + 14 + 15
- (With Red Extract) Backward Sweep: 15 + 19
- (With Red Extract) Double Slash: 15 + 14 + 28
- : Strong Attack (Is slightly different if moving forward, can be chained with Standard Attacks). CM:
- Overhead Smash (Upward + ): 26
- Sweep: 23
- Slam: 30
- (With Red Extract) Overhead Smash (Upward + ): 28
- (With Red Extract) Sweep: 18 + 21
- (With Red Extract) Slam: 25 + 43
- + : Kinsect Harvest Extract (Sends the Kinsect out to retrieve essence, can be aimed before firing unless the target has been marked)
- + Circle: Kinsect Recall
- + : Fire Marker (Fires a marker that the Kinsect will target)
- : Midcombo: Melee Mark (Leaves a marker that the Kinsect will target, also gathers extract if Kinsect is available)
- + : Vault (Launches the hunter into the air, costs stamina)
- Midair, : Aerial Attack (Does mounting damage, hits multiple times if inital attack connects). CM:
- Aerial Attack: 15
- (With Red Extract) Aerial Attack: 9 * number of hits
- Midair, : Jumping Advancing Slash (Hits multiple times if inital attack connects, resets dash count). CM:
- Jumping Advancing Slash: 29
- (With Red Extract) Jumping Advancing Slash: 3 * number of hits + 31
- Midair, : Midair Evade (Can only be done twice, costs stamina)
- Y: Standard Attack (First attack is slightly different if moving forward, can be chained up to 3 times)
- B: Strong Attack (Is slightly different if moving forward, can be chained with Standard Attacks)
- LT + Y: Kinsect Harvest Extract (Sends the Kinsect out to retrieve essence, can be aimed before firing unless the target has been marked)
- LT + B: Kinsect Recall
- LT + RT: Fire Marker (Fires a marker that the Kinsect will target)
- RT: Midcombo: Melee Mark (Leaves a marker that the Kinsect will target, also gathers extract if Kinsect is available)
- RT + A: Vault (Launches the hunter into the air, costs stamina)
- Midair, Y: Aerial Attack (Does mounting damage, hits multiple times if inital attack connects)
- Midair, B: Jumping Advancing Slash (Hits multiple times if inital attack connects, resets dash count)
- Midair, A: Midair Evade (Can only be done twice, costs stamina)
Kinsect Essences can change how you use your glaive and is essential for maximizing output. Below are the colors and what they do.
- White = Increase the hunter's speed for 90 seconds. Generally acquired from the monster's legs and wings.
- Red = Increase the hunter's attack and alters some attack animations (e.g. some attacks hit multiple times in a single input) for 60 seconds. Generally acquired from the monster's head.
- Orange = Increase the hunter's defense and knockback resistance to weak attacks for 45 seconds. Generally acquired from the monster's body.
- Green = Recover a small amount of health. Generally acquired from the monster's tail.
Now we get into comboing essences. This can make you even stronger than just having one or two at once. Do your best to get all three enhancements and your damage output and survivability will be through the roof.
- Red + White = 10% Attack increase for 90 seconds.
- White + Orange = 10% Defense increase for 90 seconds.
- Red + White + Orange = 15% Attack increase + 10% Defense increase + Flinch free for 90 seconds.
To add onto this, having the red essence changes your combos. Your aerial Y/Triangle becomes a spinning attack and deals loads of damage and a high possibility to mount.
Insect Glaives are a type of Weapon in Monster Hunter World (MHW). This page shows a visual gallery of all different styles for Insect Glaives. Weapons are often upgraded based on previous decisions, with different paths leading to different looks and necessitating different materials. You can find detailed upgrade path information in the Insect Glaive Weapon Tree or by clicking each individual weapon below. Please see Kinsect for information on your companion insects.
Insect Glaives Gallery MHW
Insect Glaive Ore Weapons
Insect Glaive Bone Weapons
Kinsect is a special equipment in Monster Hunter World (MHW) that players choosing to use the Insect Glaive can wield. It gives the user bonuses such as more damage, faster movement and better defense. Kinsects also have their own attacks and damage types, that vary from Kinsect to Kinsect. Kinsects can also be upgraded, much the way Weapons are and have their own upgrade trees.
Kinsect Information in MHW
Kinsect Culldrone Lineage (Cut / Sever Damage)
Kinsect Mauldrone Lineage (Blunt Damage)