|Damage Type||Shot (Ammo) Damage|
Light Bowgun (ライトボウガン) is a weapon category in Monster Hunter World (MHW). Like all Weapons, it features a unique moveset and an upgrade path that branches out depending on the materials used. Please see Weapon Mechanics for details on the basics of your hunter tools.
The Bowgun can be used to attack monsters from long range. There are two types of Bowgun: the Heavy Bowgun, which can use powerful ammo, and the Light Bowgun, which allows for greater mobility and evasive capabilities, and faster shooting.
Light Bowgun Weapon Tree
For full details, please see Light Bowgun Weapon Tree
Light Bowgun Traits & Abilities
- Fast fire rate and short to moderate range
- Varitiy of ammo types with special effects
- High mobility
Light Bowgun Guide
The Light Bowgun is the smallest of the three ranged weapons. It's small nature allows hunters to rapidly reposition and dodge incoming attacks. On offense, the Light Bowgun boasts the highest fire rate of the ranged weapons. It also specializes in support ammo, such as poison, paralysis and recovery, meaning it can reliably inflict a varity of status effects on the monster while still dealing damage. Light Bowguns are also capable of using special rounds, which are covered in detail further down. Lastly, the Light Bowgun has an optimal range for firing. Being too far away from the target will cause shots to do less damage. The optimal range will vary based on ammo, and the crosshair will glow orange when the monster is in the optimal range.
Customizing Your Bowgun
Bowguns can use custom mods to enable automatic blocking, shorten reload time, and so on. You can even equip the same mod multiple times to improve its effects.
Ranged weapon attacks have a Critical Range, which is the distance at which that the attack deals the most damage. It's important to experiment with different ammo and arrow types to determine their Critical Ranges in order to deal as much damage possible.
Light Bowgun Advantages
- Wide varity of ammo for applying various status effects
- High rate of fire
- Great mobility
Light Bowgun Disadvantages
- Must supply own ammo
- Low damage per shot
- Unable to block
- High recoil
Attachments are various mods that can be put onto a bowgun to alter it's stats. Attachments are free, can be swaped out at any time at the smithy, and can stack. The number of mods that can be put onto a gun depend on it's rarity rank. Ranks 1 and 2 have one mod slot. Ranks 3 and 4 have two. Ranks 5 and 6 have three.
Available mod types:
- Recoil Suppressor: Lowers the recoil when firing. Effectiveness varies with what ammo type is being used.
- Reload Assist: Speeds reload times. Effectivenes varies with what ammo type is being used.
- Deviation Suppressor: Lowers deviation. Can only be used if the bowgun has deviation.
- Close Range Up: Increases damage at close range.
- Long Range Up: Increases damage at long range.
Note: What ammo hunters can use varies with the bowgun they are using.
- Normal: A standard single shot. Comes in levels 1, 2 and 3.
- Pierce: A straight shot that pierces through monsters to hit them multiple times. Comes in levels 1, 2 and 3.
- Spread: A short ranged shotgun blast. Comes in levels 1, 2 and 3.
- Sticky: Shots attach themselves to the target and then explodes. High damage, and can stun. Comes in levels 1, 2 and 3.
- Recover: Heals the target. Ideally used on fellow hunters. Comes in levels 1 and 2.
- Poison: Inflicts poison on the target. Comes in levels 1 and 2.
- Paralysis: Inflicts Paralysis on the target. Comes in levels 1 and 2.
- Sleep: Inflicts sleep on the target. Comes in levels 1 and 2.
- Exhaust: Drains the target's stamina. Comes in levels 1 and 2.
- Flaming: Does fire damage.
- Water: Does water damage.
- Freeze: Does ice damage.
- Thunder: Does thunder damage.
- Dragon: Does dragon damage.
- Slicing: Attaches a small bomb which explodes and causes slicing damage.
- Demon: Temporarily increases the attack of a friendly target.
- Armor: Temporarily increases defense of a friendly target.
- Tranq: Used to capture monsters. Functions just like Tranq bombs.
Special rounds recharge over time. Some can be used before they are fully recharge but to reduced effect. What special round a hunter has is determined by their bowgun, and every bowgun has only one spcial round.
- Wyvernblast: Has three charges. Spending a charge plants a mine on the ground with a jet of gas coming out the top and three mines can be deployed at one time. Firing through the jet of gas will cause it to explode and damage nearby targets. The mine can detonate multiple times before it wears off, up to 5 times. Monsters can also trigger the mine, but diminishes the number of charges the mine has. The mine's damage is based off of what hit it.
Light Bowgun Controls
- : Aim
- : Fire
- : Special Round
- : Reload
- + or : Select ammo
- + : Melee Attack
Light Bowguns are a type of Weapon in Monster Hunter World (MHW). This page shows a visual gallery of all different styles for Light Bowguns. Weapons are often upgraded based on previous decisions, with different paths leading to different looks and necessitating different materials. You can find detailed upgrade path information in the Light Bowgun Weapon Tree or by clicking each individual weapon below.
Light Bowguns Gallery MHW
Light Bowgun Ore Weapons
Light Bowgun Bone Weapons
| Anja Buster | | Barroth Shot | | Bazel Typhoon | | Blacksteel Crossbow | | Blazing Rifle | | Carapace Rifle | | Chain Blitz | | Chain Blitz I | | Cross Blitz | | Dragonbone Bowgun | | Fate's Ember | | Flame Blitz | | Frost Blitz | | Garon Rifle | | High Chain Blitz | | Hunter's Rifle | | Jagras Blitz | | Jagras Fire | | Jyura Bullet | | Lava Bullet | | Lightning Blitz | | Lumu Blitz | | Lumu Typhon | | Madness Rifle | | Power Rifle | | Rathbuster | | Sniper Shot | | Snow Blitz | | Thunder Blitz |