|Damage Type||Shot (Ammo) Damage|
Bow (弓) is a weapon category in Monster Hunter World (MHW). Like all Weapons, it features a unique moveset and an upgrade path that branches out depending on the materials used. Please see Weapon Mechanics for details on the basics of your hunter tools.
The bow is a mid-range weapon that can perform a variety of attacks. Its charged shots can deal significant damage when aimed at a monster's weak points.
Bow Weapon Tree
For full details, please see Bow Weapon Tree
Bow Traits & Abilities
- Unlimited arrows to hail upon the monsters from afar
- Coatings give useful buffs
- Special arrows are capable of hitting one monster several times with one shot
The Bow is ranged weapon capable of unleashing a never ending barrage of arrows on the target. While simple to use, it's mastery requires a detailed knowledge of the best combinations of arrows, coatings, and distance from the monster. The basic shot of a bow can be charged, and each charge level changes what type of arrow will be fired. What shot goes with what charge level depends on the bow. The arrow types are horizontal scatter, vertical scatter, peirce, and heavy. Bows also have two special shots; one that varies based on the bow, and the other is a special charged peircing arrow. Bows do not use ammo in a conventional sense and so hunters will never run out arrows to fire. Instead they use coatings, which apply special effects to the arrows. A list of coatings and their effects can be found below. Lastly, the bow has an optimal range for firing. Being too far away from the target will cause shots to do less damage. The optimal range will vary based on coating, and the crosshair will glow orange when the monster is in the optimal range.
Charge Bow Tips
Bows are at their most powerful when you charge up arrows before shooting them. You can shoot Charged Shots by holding down the fire button or by shooting arrows in quick succession.
Lunging Melee Attack
You can perform a Lunging Melee Attack after performing a Charging Sidestep. This attack can be used to mount monsters.
- Unlimited ammo
- Ranged attacks
- Variety of coatings
- Poor melee offense
- Cannot block
Note: What coatings a hunter can use are determined by what bow they have. Most bows only get access to 3 or 4 coatings.
- Power: Increases damage.
- Close Range: Increases damage the closer the hunter is to the monster and when using melee attacks. All bows have this, and it can be used forever.
- Poison: Arrows can inflict poison
- Paralysis: Arrows can inflict paralysis
- Sleep: Arrows can inflict sleep
- Blast: Arrows cause an explosion after enough of them have hit the target
- : Aim
- : Fire (Can be held to charge up arrow tiers, charging costs stamina, dodging after firing and then shooting again also raise arrow tiers). Estimated Damage:
- Shoot: 8
- Charge I: 10 + 10
- Charge II: 11 + 11 + 11
- After firing, : Charged Shot (The same as a basic fire but one tier higher than the last shot)
- High-Angle Shot: 1 * number of hits (max 6 hits)
- Charge I High-Angle Shot: 1 * number of hits (max 8 hits)
- Charge II High-Angle Shot: 3 * number of hits (max 14 hits)
- : Special Shot (Varies on based on bow)
- Estimated Damage: 6 + 6 + 6
- + : Dragon Piercer
- Estimated Damage: 23 * number of hits
- + or : Select Coating
- : Load/Unload Coating (Coatings do not have to be reloaded. Once applied, the coating will be used until it runs out, is unloaded, or another coating is loaded)
Bows are a type of Weapon in Monster Hunter World (MHW). This page shows a visual gallery of all different styles for Bows. Weapons are often upgraded based on previous decisions, with different paths leading to different looks and necessitating different materials. You can find detailed upgrade path information in the Bow Weapon Tree or by clicking each individual weapon below.
Bows Gallery MHW
Bow Ore Weapons
Bow Bone Weapons