|Damage Type||Shot (Ammo) Damage|
Bow (弓) is a weapon category in Monster Hunter World (MHW). Like all Weapons, it features a unique moveset and an upgrade path that branches out depending on the materials used. Please see Weapon Mechanics for details on the basics of your hunter tools.
Bow Weapon Tree
For full details, please see Bow Weapon Tree
Bow Traits & Abilities
- Unlimited arrows to hail upon the monsters from afar
- Coatings give useful buffs
- Special arrows are capable of hitting one monster several times with one shot
The Bow is ranged weapon capable of unleashing a never ending barrage of arrows on the target. While simple to use, it's mastery requires a detailed knowledge of the best combinations of arrows, coatings, and distance from the monster. The basic shot of a bow can be charged, and each charge level changes what type of arrow will be fired. What shot goes with what charge level depends on the bow. The arrow types are horizontal scatter, vertical scatter, peirce, and heavy. Bows also have two special shots; one that varies based on the bow, and the other is a special charged peircing arrow. Bows do not use ammo in a conventional sense and so hunters will never run out arrows to fire. Instead they use coatings, which apply special effects to the arrows. A list of coatings and their effects can be found below. Lastly, the bow has an optimal range for firing. Being too far away from the target will cause shots to do less damage. The optimal range will vary based on coating, and the crosshair will glow orange when the monster is in the optimal range.
- Unlimited ammo
- Ranged attacks
- Variety of coatings
- Poor melee offense
- Cannot block
Note: What coatings a hunter can use are determined by what bow they have. Most bows only get access to 4 or 5 coatings.
- Power: Increases damage. Most bows can use this coating.
- Power 2: Greatly increases damage. Few bows can use this, and fewer of them can be carried than normal power coatings.
- Elemental: Increases elemental damage. Most bows with elemental damage can use this coating.
- Elemental 2: Increases elemental damage. Few bows with elemental damage can use this, and fewer of them can be carried.
- Close Range: Increases damage the closer the hunter is to the mosnter and when using melee attacks.
- Poison: Arrows can inflict poison
- Paralysis: Arrows can inflict paralysis
- Sleep: Arrows can inflict sleep
- Blast: Arrows cause an explosion after enough of them have hit the target
- Exhaust: Arrows drain the monster's stamina
- L2: Aim
- R2: Fire (Can be held to charge up arrow tiers, charging costs stamina, dodging after firing and then shooting again also raise arrow tiers)
- After firing, Circle: Charged Shot (The same as a basic fire but one tier higher than the last shot)
- Circle: Special Shot (Varies on based on bow)
- Triangle + Circle: Dragon Piercer
- L1 + X or Triangle: Select Coating
- Triangle: Load/Unload Coating (Coatings do not have to be reloaded. Once applied, the coating will be used until it runs out, is unloaded, or another coating is loaded)
|All Bows Alphabetical|