|Damage Type||Cut Damage|
Gunlance (ガンランス) is a weapon category in Monster Hunter World (MHW). Like all Weapons, it features a unique moveset and an upgrade path that branches out depending on the materials used. Please see Weapon Mechanics for details on the basics of your hunter tools.
Gunlance Weapon Tree
For full details, please see Gunlance Weapon Tree
Gunlance Traits & Abilities
- Fires explosive shells towards monsters
- Features a shield ability to guard against incoming attacks
Much like it's cousin, the Lance, the Gunlance is a bastion of defense while having impressive range and damage. It's basic attacks are a mix of stabs, sweeps and slams. Instead of a charging ability like the Lance, the Gunlance can fire off shotgun blasts. While not truely a ranged attack, these rounds ignore the toughness of the monster, allowing damage to be dealt parts that otherwise couldn't be touched. The gunlance can also change up to unleash a massive explosion called Wyvern's Fire. Using Wyvern's Fire will cause the lance to over heat and it can not be fired again until it has cooled down. Normal shots will not cause overheating, but they will chew through sharpness and must be reloaded every few shots. Lastly, the Gunlance's basic block is tied with the Lance for the strongest in the game, however it lacks the same special defensive moves which makes it slightly weaker in that regard.
- Great reach and considerable mobility
- Shells are useful for wounding stronger monster parts
- Shell damage is unblockable, making it more reliable than other attacks.
- Sharpness deterioration is fast when using shell attacks
- Dodging is slow and mobility is limited
Gunlance Ammo Types
The Gunlance ammo is determined by the Gunlance, and each Gunlance has only one type.
- Normal: Offers the most ammo.
- Long: Offers the longest range.
- Wide: Limited on ammo but offers a wide spread of pellets.
- Triangle: Forward Attack (Can be chained up to 3 times)
- Circle: Shelling (Cost one round, can be chained until no ammo remains, and can be woven into standard chain)
- Triangle + Circle: Strong Attack
- R2 + Triangle: Upward Attack
- R2 + Circle: Reload (Refils ammo and Wyrmstake Cannon)
- R2 + Triangle + Circle: Wyvernfire (Short build up, causes gunlance to glow red and cannot be used again until glow goes away.)
- R2: Guard
- After Burst Fire, two Shelling attacks or a Forward Attack combo, Circle: Wyrmstake Cannon (Embeds a blade into the monster that then explodes, but be reloaded)
- After the slam attack in the Forward Attack chain, Circle: Burst Fire (Fires off all remaining shells at once)
|All Gunlances Alphabetical|