|Damage Type||Cut Damage|
Gunlance (ガンランス ganransu, "gunlance") is a weapon category in Monster Hunter World (MHW). Like all Weapons, it features a unique moveset and an upgrade path that branches out depending on the materials used. Please see Weapon Mechanics for details on the basics of your hunter tools.
The gunlance offers more offensive power than the lance thanks to the addition of shelling attacks, and it also has good guarding capabilities. It may take time to master.
Gunlance Weapon Tree
For full details, please see Gunlance Weapon Tree
Gunlance Traits & Abilities
- Fires explosive shells towards monsters
- Features a shield ability to guard against incoming attacks
Much like its cousin, the Lance, the Gunlance is a bastion of defense while having impressive range and damage. Its basic attacks are a mix of stabs, sweeps and slams. Instead of a charging ability like the Lance, the Gunlance can fire off shotgun blasts. While not truly a ranged attack, these rounds ignore the toughness of the monster, allowing damage to be dealt to parts that otherwise couldn't be touched. The Gunlance can also charge up to unleash a massive explosion called Wyvern's Fire. Using Wyvern's Fire will cause the lance to over heat and it can not be fired again until it has cooled down. Normal shots will not cause overheating, but they will chew through sharpness and must be reloaded every few shots. Lastly, the Gunlance's basic block is tied with the Lance for the strongest in the game, however it lacks the same special defensive moves which makes it slightly weaker in that regard.
Shelling is unique in that it can deal fixed damage to a monster's parts regardless of their resistances. However, it also consumes a large part of the Sharpness Gauge, so can't be used when sharpness is in the red.
Reloading Wyrmstake Shot
Wyrmstake Shot can't be reloaded with a Quick Reload. It must be reloaded normally.
Types of Shelling Attacks
Gunlances possess one of three different types of shelling attack. The attacks differ in power, ammo capacity, and range. Be careful in choosing your gunlance, as each type requires a slightly different play style.
- Great reach and considerable defense
- Shells are useful for wounding stronger monster parts
- Shell damage is unblockable and is fixed, making it more reliable than other attacks in breaking harder monster parts.
- Shelling allows hunters to chain multiple combo attacks
- 2nd best guarding capabilities.
- Different shelling types facilitates multiple playstyle.
- Sharpness deterioration is fast when using fullburst shelling
- Dodging is slow and mobility is limited
Gunlance Ammo Types
The Gunlance ammo is determined by the Gunlance, and each Gunlance has only one type.
- Normal: Offers the most ammo; specializes in fullburst.
- Long: Offers the longest range; specializes in charged shelling.
- Wide: Limited on ammo but offers a wide spread of pellets; specializes in normal shelling and wyvernfire.
Each move has its own hidden Combo Move multiplier (CM), which is used when calculating Raw (physical) Damage. See the article on Attack Power for more information.
Note: These figures are estimations reached through community testing.
- : Forward Attack (Can be chained up to 3 times). CM:
- Mid Thrust I: 24
- Mid Thrust II: 24
- Mid Thrust III: 24
- : Shelling (Cost one round, can be chained until no ammo remains, and can be woven into standard chain. Holding Circle after any lance attack will perform a charged shot, which deals more damage.) CM:
- Shelling: 18
- Charged Shelling: 28
- + : Rising Slash (followup with Triangle for an Overhead Smash, and Wide Sweep attack.) CM:
- Rising Slash: 30
- Overhead Smash: 48
- Wide Sweep: 68
- + : Upward Attack. CM:
- High Thrust I: 18
- High Thrust II: 18
- High Thrust III: 18
- + : Reload (Refills ammo and Wyrmstake Cannon. Pressing after any lance attack performs a quick reload which will not reload the Wyrmstake Cannon)
- + + : Wyvernfire (Short build up, causes gunlance to glow red and cannot be used again until glow goes away. Can be aimed by holding aim button mid-charge)
- CM: 56 * 3
- : Guard
- After the Overhead Smash attack in the Rising Slash chain, : Burst Fire (Fires off all remaining shells at once)
- CM: 20 * Current Shells
- After Burst Fire, two Shelling attacks or a Rising Slash combo, : Wyrmstake Cannon (Embeds a blade into the monster that then explodes. Needs to be reloaded.)
- CM: 28 + 4 + 8 * 10 hits + 54
- While sliding downhill, : Jumping Rising Slash
- CM: 61
- After the Jumping Rising Slash, while still airborne:
- : Jumping Thrust (CM: 24)
- : Aerial Burst (Fires off all remaining shells at once, can chain directly into Wyrmstake Cannon upon landing) (CM: 31 + 19 * Current Shells)
- : Jumping Smash (Reloads any spent shells. Does not reload Wyrmstake. Can be chained into Burst Fire upon landing) (CM: 43)
Gunlances are a type of Weapon in Monster Hunter World (MHW). This page shows a visual gallery of all different styles for Gunlances. Weapons are often upgraded based on previous decisions, with different paths leading to different looks and necessitating different materials. You can find detailed upgrade path information in the Gunlance Weapon Tree or by clicking each individual weapon below.
Gunlance Gallery MHW
Gunlance Ore Weapons
Gunlance Bone Weapons