|Damage Type||Cut Damage|
Long Sword (太刀 tachi) is a weapon category in Monster Hunter World (MHW). Like all Weapons, it features a unique moveset and an upgrade path that branches out depending on the materials used. Please see Weapon Mechanics for details on the basics of your hunter tools.
Long Sword Weapon Tree
For full details, including Iceborne Expansion Weapon Tree please see Long Sword Weapon Tree
See Iceborne Long Swords for a list of the expansion weapons.
Long Sword Traits & Abilities
- Attacks charge up a Spirit Gauge that increases attack damage and unlocks Spirit Blade attacks
- Well rounded moveset with good reach and vertical ability
- Able to roll out of most attack chains
Long Sword Guide
An elegant weapon, the Long Sword is a well rounded weapon. Its attacks are relatively fast, deal decent damage, and have good reach. Hunters are able to roll out of most of the Long Sword's combos, making it a very mobile weapon. On top of its solid base move set, it has a unique Spirit Gauge system. Every non-Spirit attack from the Long Sword fills the Spirit Gauge a little bit. The Gauge decays overtime, however filling it completely locks it for a time, preventing the decay. This Gauge can be spent on Spirit Attacks. Spirit Attacks do extra damage, won't bounce off a monster's hide, raise the Spirit Gauge one level upon completing a full combo. Level zero is the starting level, level one will have a white glow on the Spirit Gauge and the Long Sword itself, level two will have a yellow glow, and level three is red. Each level raises the attack power of the Long Sword by a fair amount. If you don't do the Spirit Attack combo, the glow around the Spirit Gauge will decrease and when it's gone, the level will go down by one. The higher the level, the faster the Gauge's glow will deplete. Keeping the Spirit Gauge at level three is paramount to using the Long Sword effectively.
Landing a Spirit Roundslash on a monster will increase your Spirit Gauge by one level, increasing your attack power. Your attack can be boosted up to three levels.
A high-powered attack that consumes one level of the Spirit Gauge to execute. It deals the most damage when the Spirit Gauge is red.
Foresight Slash allows you to dodge an enemy attack and deliver an immediate counterattack. It can also be chained into a Spirit Blade.
Long Sword Advantages
- Well rounded with decent damage, attack speed, and mobility
- Long range for a melee weapon
- Spirit Blade and Spirit Gauge make you stronger as the fight wears on
- Multiple moves with invulnerability windows, which also award the user when successfully dodging an attack
- Most moves have fast recovery times
Long Sword Disadvantages
- Average mobility
- Low Elemental Damage, especially on Spirit Helmbreaker
- Its wide sweeping moves are notorious for tripping teammates
- Light weapon, hence requiring two clutch attacks to soften a part
Long Sword Controls
Each move has its own Motion Value (MV), which is used when calculating Raw (physical) Damage. See the article on Attack Power for more information.
- : Standard Attack (can be chained indefinitely). MVs:
- Step Slash: 24
- Overhead Slash: 21
- Thrust: 12
- Rising Slash: 18
- : Thrust (can be mixed into the standard chain).
- + : Fade Slash (can be done in any direction). MV: 22
- after Fade Slash: Spirit Jumping Slash. MV: 18 (28 with 20+% spirit)
- after Spirit Jumping Slash: Spirit Blade III
- : Spirit Blade (consumes spirit, can be chained up to 4 times; connecting Spirit Roundslash will raise the spirit gauge by one level). MVs:
- Spirit Blade I: 14 (26 with 15+% spirit)
- Spirit Blade II: 30
- Spirit Blade III: 14 + 19 + 34
- Spirit Roundslash: 38
- after any Spirit Blade attack: Slinger Burst
- + after any attack: Foresight Slash (fills the Spirit Gauge if an attack is dodged during the backstep, can be followed with Spirit Roundslash). MV: 12 (26 with 10+% spirit)
- + and if successful, : Spirit Thrust and Spirit Helmbreaker (costs one Spirit Gauge level, causes the gauge to refill gradually if it connects). MVs:
- Spirit Thrust: 26
- Helmbreaker (White gauge): 10 * 7
- Helmbreaker (Yellow gauge): 15 * 7
- Helmbreaker (Red gauge): 25 * 7
- + after any attack: Special Sheathe (can be followed with Iai attacks).
- : Iai Slash (has iframes, gradually refills Spirit Gauge if it connects). MVs: 18 + 13
- : Iai Spirit Slash (has iframes and hyperarmor; consume a spirit level unless it successfully dodges an attack). MVs:
- No gauge: 17
- White gauge: 19 + 55
- Yellow gauge: 31 + 72
- Red gauge: 39 + 86
- Midair : Jumping Slash. MV: 26
- Midair : Jumping Spirit Blade (can be performed repeatedly off a ledge with white gauge or higher).
- No gauge: Jumping Spirit Blade. MV: 16 (30 with 15+% spirit)
- White/Yellow gauge: Jumping Spirit Blade II. MVs: 4 + 16 (12 + 36 with 20+% spirit)
- Red gauge: Jumping Spirit Blade III. MVs: 4 + 16 + 18 (12 + 36 + 38 with 20+% spirit)
- while sliding: Jumping Rising Slash (can be followed up with midair attacks). MV: 20
- while sliding: Aerial Draw Spirit Blade. MV: 26 (48 with 20+% spirit)
- after Aerial Draw Spirit Blade: Spirit Roundslash
Long Swords are a type of Weapon in Monster Hunter World (MHW). This page shows a visual gallery of all different styles for Long Swords. Weapons are often upgraded based on previous decisions, with different paths leading to different looks and necessitating different materials. You can find detailed upgrade path information in the Long Sword Weapon Tree or by clicking each individual weapon below.
Iceborne Long Swords are Master Rank Long Swords in Monster Hunter World Iceborne (MHW). These rare 9 and above weapons were added with the Iceborne Expansion and can only be obtained by players who own the expansion. The weapons use Master Rank Materials that can be obtained by completing quests and doing endgame content.
Iceborne Long Swords
Long Sword Gallery MHW
Long Sword Ore Weapons
Long Sword Bone Weapons
Kulve Taroth Long Swords