|Damage Type||Cut Damage|
Long Sword (太刀 tachi) is a weapon category in Monster Hunter World (MHW). Like all Weapons, it features a unique moveset and an upgrade path that branches out depending on the materials used. Please see Weapon Mechanics for details on the basics of your hunter tools.
Long Sword Weapon Tree
For full details, including Iceborne Expansion Weapon Tree please see Long Sword Weapon Tree
See Iceborne Long Swords for a list of the expansion weapons.
Long Sword Traits & Abilities
- Attacks charge up a Spirit Gauge that increases attack damage and unlocks Spirit Blade attacks
- Well rounded moveset with good reach and vertical ability
- Able to roll out of most attack chains
Long Sword Guide
An elegant weapon, the Long Sword is a well rounded weapon. Its attacks are relatively fast, deal decent damage, and have good reach. Hunters are able to roll out of most of the Long Sword's combos, making it a very mobile weapon. On top of its solid base move set, it has a unique Spirit Gauge system. Every non-Spirit attack from the Long Sword fills the Spirit Gauge a little bit. The Gauge decays overtime, however filling it completely locks it for a time, preventing the decay. This Gauge can be spent on Spirit Attacks. Spirit Attacks do extra damage, won't bounce off a monster's hide, raise the Spirit Gauge one level upon completing a full combo. Level zero is the starting level, level one will have a white glow on the Spirit Gauge and the Long Sword itself, level two will have a yellow glow, and level three is red. Each level raises the attack power of the Long Sword by a fair amount. If you don't do the Spirit Attack combo, the glow around the Spirit Gauge will decrease and when it's gone, the level will go down by one. The higher the level, the faster the Gauge's glow will deplete. Keeping the Spirit Gauge at level three is paramount to using the Long Sword effectively.
Landing a Spirit Roundslash on a monster will increase your Spirit Gauge by one level, increasing your attack power. Your attack can be boosted up to three levels.
A high-powered attack that consumes one level of the Spirit Gauge to execute. It deals the most damage when the Spirit Gauge is red.
Foresight Slash allows you to dodge an enemy attack and deliver an immediate counterattack. It can also be chained into a Spirit Blade.
Long Sword Advantages
- Well rounded with decent damage, attack speed, and mobility
- Long range for a melee weapon
- Spirit Blade and Spirit Gauge make you stronger as the fight wears on
- Multiple moves with invulnerability windows, which also award the user when successfully dodging an attack
- Most moves have fast recovery times
Long Sword Disadvantages
- Average mobility
- Low Elemental Damage, especially on Spirit Helmbreaker
- Its wide sweeping moves are notorious for tripping teammates
- Light weapon, hence requiring two clutch attacks to soften a part
Long Sword Controls
Each move has its own Motion Value (MV), which is used when calculating Raw (physical) Damage. See the article on Attack Power for more information.
- : Standard Attack (can be chained indefinitely). MVs:
- Step Slash: 24
- Overhead Slash: 21
- Thrust: 12
- Rising Slash: 18
- : Thrust (can be mixed into the standard chain).
- + : Fade Slash (can be done in any direction). MV: 22
- after Fade Slash: Spirit Jumping Slash. MV: 18 (28 with 20+% spirit)
- after Spirit Jumping Slash: Spirit Blade III
- : Spirit Blade (consumes spirit, can be chained up to 4 times; connecting Spirit Roundslash will raise the spirit gauge by one level). MVs:
- Spirit Blade I: 14 (26 with 15+% spirit)
- Spirit Blade II: 30
- Spirit Blade III: 14 + 19 + 34
- Spirit Roundslash: 38
- after any Spirit Blade attack: Slinger Burst
- + after any attack: Foresight Slash (fills the Spirit Gauge if an attack is dodged during the backstep, can be followed with Spirit Roundslash). MV: 12 (26 with 10+% spirit)
- + and if successful, : Spirit Thrust and Spirit Helmbreaker (costs one Spirit Gauge level, causes the gauge to refill gradually if it connects). MVs:
- Spirit Thrust: 26
- Helmbreaker (White gauge): 10 * 7
- Helmbreaker (Yellow gauge): 15 * 7
- Helmbreaker (Red gauge): 25 * 7
- + after any attack: Special Sheathe (can be followed with Iai attacks).
- : Iai Slash (has iframes, gradually refills Spirit Gauge if it connects). MVs: 18 + 13
- : Iai Spirit Slash (has iframes and hyperarmor; consume a spirit level unless it successfully dodges an attack). MVs:
- No gauge: 17
- White gauge: 19 + 55
- Yellow gauge: 31 + 72
- Red gauge: 39 + 86
- Midair : Jumping Slash. MV: 26
- Midair : Jumping Spirit Blade (can be performed repeatedly off a ledge with white gauge or higher).
- No gauge: Jumping Spirit Blade. MV: 16 (30 with 15+% spirit)
- White/Yellow gauge: Jumping Spirit Blade II. MVs: 4 + 16 (12 + 36 with 20+% spirit)
- Red gauge: Jumping Spirit Blade III. MVs: 4 + 16 + 18 (12 + 36 + 38 with 20+% spirit)
- while sliding: Jumping Rising Slash (can be followed up with midair attacks). MV: 20
- while sliding: Aerial Draw Spirit Blade. MV: 26 (48 with 20+% spirit)
- after Aerial Draw Spirit Blade: Spirit Roundslash
Long Swords are a type of Weapon in Monster Hunter World (MHW). This page shows a visual gallery of all different styles for Long Swords. Weapons are often upgraded based on previous decisions, with different paths leading to different looks and necessitating different materials. You can find detailed upgrade path information in the Long Sword Weapon Tree or by clicking each individual weapon below.
Iceborne Long Swords are Master Rank Long Swords in Monster Hunter World Iceborne (MHW). These rare 9 and above weapons were added with the Iceborne Expansion and can only be obtained by players who own the expansion. The weapons use Master Rank Materials that can be obtained by completing quests and doing endgame content.
Iceborne Long Swords
Long Sword Gallery MHW
Long Sword Ore Weapons
Long Sword Bone Weapons
Kulve Taroth Long Swords
Why are people so hard on the Longsword? They say it is easy but it’s not. Sure it is easy to learn but hard to master. Why all the hate??(I am a DB main but I also use the LS)
I have the power of God and anime on my side.
Can people please stop being so extravagant with the long sword? Like cool, you have the counter timing and you know how to do destiny star slice. Even so, You are still not the alpha, and every weapon looks amazing if used right. I know this doesn't apply to all LS mains, but to the ones it does, Just try to lay back a bit, k?
Destiny.... Staaaaaaar Slice!!!!
Im playing Monster Hunter for the first time, im trying out different weapons and i want different classes for different elements. What are some good Fire Long Swords?
Can someone tell me the utility of the spirit iai slash? The regular iai slash seems more useful because it gets you back into the fight and charges your spirit gauge.
The only use I can see for the spirit iai slash is as an, "Oh ****!" panic button for if you're in iai stance and a monster tries to get you with an attack you weren't expecting.
I am elite longsword user. I iai slash counter everything and speedrun all endgame bosses. All you noobs need to get on my level.
ive a question. i cant do the sheath attack where it slowly fills my gauge. why cant i do it
I've finished the main game using only triangle and r2 with this weapon. Problem, elitists ?
If you use Special Sheath and Lai slash correctly you can pretty effectively chain Spirt Helm Breaker
>tfw level 3 helm breaker deals approx 40% more damage than level 2
>tfw you keep missing the helm breaker
longsword consists of two weapon classes in one. There is a combo based playstyle that people belittle and denigrate (perhaps rightly so as it is noob), and a parry/timing oriented technique which requires precise yet intuitive execution. The former relies on rolling to dodge attacks, while its conspecific uses foresight slash and iai slash to counter attacks. Although longsword is the most prevalent weapon, the parry playstyle may be extremely rare and represents the upper echelon of the entire monster hunter player base.
is spirit helmbreaker a jumping attack?
I’m not sure if anybody else already did this but here’s a build idea for ice borne. This build is based around the special sheathe. For this you’ll need bazel vambraces alpha and bazel greaves alpha, then fill the gaps with the Odogoran or Barioth Beta set depending if your in high rank or master rank. If you have a non elemental long sword use attack jewels and if you have an elemental long sword use critical element jewels.
If you do this correctly your spirit Iai slash should deal massive damage due to the critical draw from the bazel armor peices, the punishing draw from the the Odogoran and Barioth sets, and the attack/critical element jewels. Hope this helps any players who main the long sword.
is foresight slash actually referring to fade slash?
Easy to use but hard to master describes the weapon best. It is a weapon that allows for a very aggressive playstyle if mastered since it got some of the best counter moves in the game. Foresight slash has 0.75 iframe seconds while a normal roll has 0.217. With Foresight mastered one can dodge almost any attack (this includes roars). Super fun weapon to use
One of the most fun weapons to use. And despite being a Great Sword main, I find myself here and there playing with the weebstick, no offense intended, hahahaha! Foresight Slash is one of my favorite moves, it's so cool-looking and satisfying to land, makes you feel totally badass. And there's the Iai Slash too, it kinda reminds me of Vergil's Rapid Slash and that's really awesome! Wish I could Judgement Nut, tho. xD Jokes aside, the wide slashes makes it easier to hit nimble monsters like Tobi, Barioth, Rajang and Odoggo and the Mind's Eye in Spirit Slashes is a nice bonus. I've got a lot to learn about the Long Sword but I definitely shall study the blade.
Are the buffs from increasing spirit level linear? Obviously still aim for 3, but i had a friend say that each level gave a bigger buff than the one before it, and haven’t played enough longsword to know for sure
I've been playing this game for too long with the longsword to have never noticed the R2+X for the special putaway moves
Thank you for writing this wiki
*Ahem* Hunting is better ya weebs. Try it out. What's better, buffing yourself and others while still attacking, or being all HYAAAAA with a sword. It's fun, sure, and I'll respect your choice, but I'm just saying that in short: Longsword is overated in my opinion.
As much as I like the long sword, I would prefer a katana over a nodachi. I wonder will monster hunter ever release a new catagory of weapon like katana, swings faster and slashes a lot; something like Vergil from Devil May Cry series.
really simple to understand and follow love this website!
ice born is out and still no controls for PC
Best weapon in the game hands down.
The long sword is, logically, NOT a longsword. It's a "long" sword, but it's more of a giant katana.
i honestly like the hammer better than the longsword, but i like use the longsword for dem juicy tails.
Probably the most well rounded weapon in the game in my opinion. It's definitely my favourite.
Longsword is my fav
how about adding controls for ... you know PC users .....
All curved swords? Blarg
Is it just me or are LongSword users Ego maniacs like really what would be a better idea? Spirt Trusting a sleeping Kulve Taroth or True Charge Slashing it?
Anyone here have difficulty using Foresight Slash? Literally the only move I can't pull off if my life depended on it...
Do people still hate this weapon in groups? I remember in mhf2 being hated cos' you'd end up hitting allies with its wide sweep attacks
I think developers need to add a Kirin tree to this weapon
you can build spirit gauge by attacking corpses. you can even go to the next level, fully powering it up. great way to head into a fight fully powered up. quickest way to build it would be to use triangle+circle to dodge attack, r1 r1. skips 2 spirit attacks. also spirit attacks cannot be deflected, which is great if you want to chip damage while avoiding a dangerous spot.
Just to be clear, you don't want Xbox players to visit this wiki?