|Damage Type||Cut Damage|
Long Sword (太刀) is a weapon category in Monster Hunter World (MHW). Like all Weapons, it features a unique moveset and an upgrade path that branches out depending on the materials used. Please see Weapon Mechanics for details on the basics of your hunter tools.
The long sword enables fast, fluid movement and combos, but it cannot be used to guard.
Long Sword Weapon Tree
For full details, please see Long Sword Weapon Tree
Long Sword Traits & Abilities
- Attacks charge up a Spirit Gauge that increases attack damage and unlocks Spirit Blade attacks
- Well rounded moveset with good reach and vertical ability
- Able to roll out of most attack chains
Long Sword Guide
An elegant weapon, the Long Sword is a well rounded offensive weapon. Its attacks are relatively fast, deal decent damage, and have good reach. Hunters are able to roll out of most of the Long Sword's combos, making it a very mobile weapon. On top of its solid base move set, it has a unique Spirit Gauge system. Every non-Spirit attack from the Long Sword fills the Spirit Gauge a little bit. The Gauge decays overtime, however filling it completely locks it for a time, preventing the decay. This Gauge can be spent on Spirit Attacks. Spirit Attacks do extra damage, won't bounce off a monster's hide, raise the Spirit Gauge one level upon completing a full combo. Level zero is the starting level, level one will have a white glow on the Spirit Gauge and the Long Sword itself, level two will have a yellow glow, and level three is red. Each level raises the attack power of the Long Sword by a fair amount. If you don't do the Spirit Attack combo, the glow around the Spirit Gauge will decrease and when it's gone, the level will go down by one. The higher the level, the faster the Gauge's glow will deplete. Keeping the Spirit Gauge at level three is paramount to using the Long Sword effectively.
Landing a Spirit Roundslash on a monster will increase your Spirit Gauge by one level, increasing your attack power. Your attack can be boosted up to three levels.
A high-powered attack that consumes one level of the Spirit Gauge to execute. It deals the most damage when the Spirit Gauge is red.
Foresight Slash allows you to dodge an enemy attack and deliver an immediate counterattack. It can also be chained into a Spirit Blade.
Long Sword Advantages
- Well rounded with decent to good damage, speed, and mobility
- Spirit Blade and Spirit Gauge make you stronger as the fight wears on
- Long range for a melee weapon
Long Sword Disadvantages
- Cannot block, forcing players to roll out of harm's way
- Wide sweeping nature of it's attacks frequently trip up teammates
Long Sword Controls
- : Standard Attack (Can be chained up to 4 times.) Estimated damage:
- Draw Slash: 25
- Vertical Slash: 23
- Thrust: 13
- Rising Slash: 20
- : Thrust (Can be mixed into the standard chain)
- Estimated damage: 13
- While moving left, right, or back, + : Fade Slash (Can start a Spirit Blade Combo but is not a Spirit Attack itself)
- Estimated damage: 23
- : Spirit Blade (Drains Spirit Gauge, can be chained up to 3 times, complete chains will raise the Spirit Gauge level)
- Spirit Blade I: 27
- Spirit Blade II: 33
- Spirit Blade III: 13 + 15 + 35
- Spirit Roundhouse: 42
- Mid combo, + : Foresight Slash (Getting hit during the slash allows 2 Spirit Blade attacks. First one fills the Spirit Gauge, the second raises the Spirit Gauge level.)
- Estimated damage: 27
- + if successful, : Spirit Thrust and Spirit Helmbreaker. (Costs one Spirit Gauge level, causes the gauge to fill automatically if it hits.) Estimated damage:
- Spirit Thrust: 27
- Helmbreaker with White gauge: 11 + 11 + 11 + 11 + 11 + 10 + 10
- Helmbreaker with Yellow gauge: 18 + 18 + 18 + 16 + 16 + 16 + 16
- Helmbreaker with Red gauge: 30 + 30 + 30 + 30 + 28 + 28 + 28
Long Sword Trivia
- First Wyverian statistics: Long Swords are hunters' favorite weapon with ??% of them using it.
Long Swords are a type of Weapon in Monster Hunter World (MHW). This page shows a visual gallery of all different styles for Long Swords. Weapons are often upgraded based on previous decisions, with different paths leading to different looks and necessitating different materials. You can find detailed upgrade path information in the Long Sword Weapon Tree or by clicking each individual weapon below.
Long Sword Gallery MHW
Long Sword Ore Weapons
Long Sword Bone Weapons