Petricanths is an Endemic Life creature in Monster Hunter World (MHW). These animals and insects are found out in the field, and can be captured by dedicated Hunters looking to research the New World.
Previously known via fossils, this species was thought extinct. Finding otherwise was a real surprise.
You can find Petricanths in:
- Rotten Vale, sector 15 rarely spawns in the Goldenfish pond on the left of the Plunderers.
- Elder's Recess, sector 8 (Eastern Camp) rarely spawns far on the left when facing the pond.
Fishing all the fish in a pond will cause it to refresh after a short time, alternating between both areas also refreshes them. As a larger fish, the player needs to play the fishing mini-game.
You can capture Petricanths by using the Fishing Rod and succeeding in the fishing mini-game.
- House placing: Aquarium or Pond
- Other rewards: 500 RP, A Living Fossil Medal (Capture a fish known as “the living fossil.”)
- Target of the Research Help: Capture the Ancient critical bounty; you must to capture 1 of them after receiving the bounty
- Don't jig/wiggle your bait, as it will startle the fish; though they should return after a short while (but don't leave the area or it will unspawn)
- A baitbug is recommended to lure this fish
- Piscine Researcher: "Unbelievable... You've managed to fish up the legendary, thought-to-have-gone-extinct Petricanths! I take my hat off to you!"
- It is based on the coelacanth.
- Can also be paw-swapped with plunderers in rotten vale in Iceborne DLC
- ♕ 134.02 ~ ♕ 199.35